Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young Don Young is offline

Default Studs behind drywall

"SAl" wrote in message
ups.com...
new to the group and i've been checking through the forum trying to
find an answer to this problem i have. I recently repainted my
daughter's room and i am in the process of putting up shelves.

I've put up shelves before and i have a handy little zircon stud finder
that has worked in the past.

Well, this time, i located a stud, marked off where the shelves are
going, an 8" shelf and approximately 12" above that a 10" shelf.

Now, my conundrum.

Where I drilled into the wall, for the 8" shelf, i found the stud no
problem. But when i went to drill 12"s higher for the 10" shelf, no
STUD!! I ran the stud finder around where it should be, and nothing.
I then tried screwing in a 2" screw wherei drilled and it doesn't
appear to be there.

Anyone have any ideas? This is an older house, i think it was remodeled
last in the 50's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sal

Explore the cavity by drilling a small hole and feeling around with a long
curved wire. If your hole is anywhere near a stud you can find it that way.

Don Young