Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Moving studs

Eigenvector wrote:

I'm gonna move a stud over to help accomodate a light fixture that I
worked on this weekend.

The way I see it, if I move the stud over 4", then put another stud 4"
to the other side of the where the first stud was originally I should
have my bases covered. Should I use a stringer between the studs if I
do this?

I know, moving a stud to work on a light seems like overkill but if I
move the light I'd have to rerun the wiring, repair the siding where the
fixture hole is, when I could just remove some vaneer paneling in a
closet and move a stud 4" then put the paneling back up.

Am I just being crazy here? Seems like moving a stud would be simple to
do - simpler than repairing cedar siding planks and tearing out a wall
to reroute a wiring run.

Ha! I like your solution. Leave the cedar siding alone.

But is the sheathing (ply?) nailed into that stud?
Worse if 2 sheets of sheathing meet there.

Jim