Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Iron Studs

I am planning my Christmas project, which will be making an oak door.

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an
old english castle (located in wales). Its 50 inches wide, and 7 foot
tall, so its not your standard size. The frame is made from 8x4 and
8x14 oak, its set in a real stone wall, so it has to have a chunky
solid look.

The outside will have vertical planks, and iron nail studs, with a
large heavy knocker.

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from.
These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

I also want squeeky hinges - like on scooby doo :-)

Thanks
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"Rick" wrote in message

I am planning my Christmas project, which will be making an oak door.

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an
old english castle (located in wales). Its 50 inches wide, and 7 foot
tall, so its not your standard size. The frame is made from 8x4 and
8x14 oak, its set in a real stone wall, so it has to have a chunky
solid look.

The outside will have vertical planks, and iron nail studs, with a
large heavy knocker.

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from.
These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

I also want squeeky hinges - like on scooby doo :-)

Thanks
Rick

====================
1/4" studs might be too small to have an impact. Have a look here for
suggested size:

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:20:21 GMT, Rick wrote:

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an
old english castle (located in wales). Its 50 inches wide, and 7 foot
tall, so its not your standard size. The frame is made from 8x4 and
8x14 oak, its set in a real stone wall, so it has to have a chunky
solid look.

Genuine "castle doors" don't have frames. They're universally
flat-boarded on the outside , because exposing the framework also shows
where best to break it.

The outside will have vertical planks, and iron nail studs, with a
large heavy knocker.

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from

They're widely available. The cheap and convenient option is to use
square-headed coachscrews.

You'll also need hinges and knocker, which you'll either be making or
buying from a real smith. They'll be able to source the studs too.

As a finish, then take any zinc coating off first with some convenient
acid (even vinegar), then rust brown them (salt and warm humidity), then
blacken them with phosphoric acid. Finally oil them.

Watch out for "iron stain" if you put steel fittings into oak. best
option is to darken the oak first (ammonia gas, ammonia liquid or iron
acetate (wire wool and vinegar) in increasing darkness.
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

[...]

If you really want something special go to your local blacksmith. This
sort of stuff is bread and butter to them. Watch them make one, it
shows their skills at the highest level of simplicity. it's like
magic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:20:21 GMT, Rick wrote:

I am planning my Christmas project, which will be making an oak door.

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an
old english castle (located in wales).

Sort of on fire and accompanied by a male voice choir? ;-)

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from.
These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

Not quite the right size but ironmongery direct do 15mm studs. For
anything smaller than this your best bet might be to find a friendly
blacksmith. and get some knocked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:45:19 +0000, Matt
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:20:21 GMT, Rick wrote:

I am planning my Christmas project, which will be making an oak door.

The design I want is much like a castle door, thay you would see on an
old english castle (located in wales).

Sort of on fire and accompanied by a male voice choir? ;-)

Thats down the road, in Blaeau Festiniog, we have a welsh soloist in
our valley, you can get his CDs on amazon.

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from.
These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

Not quite the right size but ironmongery direct do 15mm studs. For
anything smaller than this your best bet might be to find a friendly
blacksmith. and get some knocked up.

The Ironmongery direct one has no picture - I guess I should order
just one.

I was hoping to avoid my local blacksmith. I guess I should go further
afield to find one :-)

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

Not quite the right size but ironmongery direct do 15mm studs. For
anything smaller than this your best bet might be to find a friendly
blacksmith. and get some knocked up.

The Ironmongery direct one has no picture - I guess I should order
just one.

The printed catalogue (free) has a tiny pic, doubt it would scan well.

I was hoping to avoid my local blacksmith. I guess I should go further
afield to find one :-)

Plenty of other work for them with the hinges etc so you might get one
interested further afield. Some friends of mine used a guy in the
Peak District for similar work on their entire barn/farmhouse
conversion about three years ago - I know he retired recently else
you would have had a good one to use. His work was exceptional.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

Rick formulated the question :
I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

What I call 'coach bolts' have a square head. Like a large wood screw,
with a straight shank and a square head. They might be a little too
long for your needs. You could always have some square rustic looking
heads welded onto no. 14 or larger screws.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick wrote:

The problem I have right now, is where to get the iron studs from.
These can either be functionl or decrotive. I really want 1/4 inch
square/diamond heads. Anybody have any ideas - I have searched the
web, but not found anything much.

periodproperty.co.uk now sells those - at what price I dont know, IIRC
they didnt dare say.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

[...]

Funny about that, I was in my local; B&Q yesterday, and saw a bag of them.
No idea of the price as they weren't on my mental list of things to look out for.

Rick... (The other Rick)