Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weedeater problem: priming bulb

I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they
can't find a replacement for it.

Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?

What else can I do?
I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like
brand new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 3:19 pm, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they
can't find a replacement for it.

Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?

What else can I do?
I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like
brand new.

wind up a small wire spring to place inside

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Sat, 05 May 2007 19:19:17 GMT, Mitch Mitch@... graced this
newsgroup with:

I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they
can't find a replacement for it.

Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?

What else can I do?
I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like
brand new.

I had a similiar problem. If you kept the original owners manual,
there's a section in the back that lists all the part numbers.

Weedeater and Poulan are one and the same. You may also
be able to cross reference a Poulan primer bulb with a Weedeater.

You can also go to:

www.weedeater.com

and order directly (or call their 800 number): 1-877-500-7499 M-F
8AM-9PM

Just have your model number ready so they can send you the correct
part.

hope that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mitch wrote:
I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they
can't find a replacement for it.

Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?

What else can I do?
I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like
brand new.

Spray some starter fluid in the air filter. If you don't have any
starter fluid, carburetor cleaner works as well with the added benefit
of cleaning the throttle body.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

I just happened upon this listing a few days ago, for the exact same reason:

http://item.express.ebay.com/Home-Ga...mdZExpressItem

Odds are, that's not going to work. Search on "Poulan primer bulb" on
ebay, and you'll find quite a few listings, all pretty much the same
thing. OEM. Some listings have really steep shipping, and some have
$2.47 shipping, so shop a bit.

Here's a tinyurl to the same listing: http://tinyurl.com/ysnr2b
(Some people don't trust tinyurl's...)

Mitch wrote:
I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 5, 2:19 pm, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:
I went to use my weedeater for the first time this season, and the
priming bulb has lost its spring. It doesn't pop back out, so I can't
prime the engine.

I took the bulb unit to the local small engine repair shop, and they
can't find a replacement for it.

Is there anything I can do to give the rubber back its spring?

What else can I do?
I hate to buy a new weedeater because of this tiny problem.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter last season, and it ran like
brand new.

I looked for a priming bulb for my leaf blower. I couldn't find one
and decided to do a carb overhaul. The bulb was in the carburetor kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spray some starter fluid in the air filter. If you don't have any
starter fluid, carburetor cleaner works as well with the added benefit
of cleaning the throttle body.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This is good advice...if you want to blow-it-up! (and don't tell me
you've done it dozens-of-times)

Use WD-40 directly into the open throat of the carb. It adds lubricant
and the propane (used as propellant) gives the pop.

Ask any small engine mechanic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

granted, starter fluid is overkill, but it WON'T blow it up. Starter fluid
is so weak now days, you can barely inflate a tire with it any more.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...

Spray some starter fluid in the air filter. If you don't have any
starter fluid, carburetor cleaner works as well with the added benefit
of cleaning the throttle body.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

This is good advice...if you want to blow-it-up! (and don't tell me
you've done it dozens-of-times)

Use WD-40 directly into the open throat of the carb. It adds lubricant
and the propane (used as propellant) gives the pop.

Ask any small engine mechanic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would agree that the possibilities of it blowing up are a bit of a
stretch. We should be aware that prolonged use of starting fluid, to start 2
cycle engines, exposes that engine to prolonged running without lubrication.
Use it but only on occasion.
My 2 cents worth.
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
granted, starter fluid is overkill, but it WON'T blow it up. Starter
fluid is so weak now days, you can barely inflate a tire with it any more.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...