Ron

Default How Much Should A Weedeater Primer Bulb Cost?

Had to replace the primer bulb on my McCulloch weed-eater and that damn
piece of China made plastic cost me SIX dollars at my local mower
repair shop.

I have 2 identical weed-eaters, so I ask the guy if I buy 2 of them if
I could get a discount, he says , NO, I buy them buy the "100", so I
said that means that you only pay 25cents a piece for them, he says, I
wish.

Come on, how much can that little piece of plastic REALLY cost?

I searched Google and see them selling for $1.55 a piece,,,,,just can't
find MY kind, and they must be VERY popular because the minute I handed
it to him, he threw it in the trash, meaning he had them.

James

I bought one for a Stihl weedeater several months ago at a Stihl dealer in
town, and it cost me just under two dollars.

In fact, the dealer even had to order it for me, and didn't try to charge
more.

--James--

Ron

This was posted FROM MY COMPUTER, DUMBASS!

Why am I wasting my time......There is ALWAYS ONE ASSHOLE in EVERY
USENET group.

Ron

James wrote:
I bought one for a Stihl weedeater several months ago at a Stihl dealer in
town, and it cost me just under two dollars.

In fact, the dealer even had to order it for me, and didn't try to charge
more.

--James--

Unfortuntaly, eventhough I live in a pretty big city, there aren't many
mower shops around and this guy overcharges for everything.

Had a friend (older guy) take a mower in one time because it wouldn't
start and the guy charged him $50 to replace the sparkplug....He called
it a "tuneup"...LOL

Told my friend, call me the next time you have a problem with something
before you get taken advantage of.

tom

Never mind that 3rd redeye, (s)he's one of those wusses who doesn't
archive. 6 bucks for a plastic bulb? Well, you _are_ helping a
_local_, don'tcha know? Anytime I can, I opt for local help. Hang the
cost. Tom

Bob G.

Unfortuntaly, eventhough I live in a pretty big city, there aren't many
mower shops around and this guy overcharges for everything.

Had a friend (older guy) take a mower in one time because it wouldn't
start and the guy charged him $50 to replace the sparkplug....He called
it a "tuneup"...LOL

Told my friend, call me the next time you have a problem with something
before you get taken advantage of.

===============
Gosh I am an older guy myself.... BUT I do not see why you would say
"your" older friend was taken advantage of...

The repair shop FIXED the mower, charged your friend for the time to
figure out why the mower would not start, plus for a sparkplug...and
for the time to install the plug...

Even though I am retired, I still remember the good old days when I
honestly charged for my services... I see absolutely no reason the
Lawnmower repair man should not...

Bob G.

Listen look at it this way. For that guy to exist they have to pay
the
lights, telephone, rent, insurance, taxes, and salary.
(just to name a few)

While 6.00 is allot for a cheapie part, the guy has to stay in
business.

As for the tuneup, who knows. Did they change the air filter and oil
on there too?
Parts price was probably minimal but labor is not a cheap thing, it
never was.

Its only expensive to people who feel they can do it all themselves.

I love the fact that people complain about labor charges but then those
are the ones that pay about 1000.00 a year on lawn service.

Ron

Bob G. wrote:

Unfortuntaly, eventhough I live in a pretty big city, there aren't many
mower shops around and this guy overcharges for everything.

Had a friend (older guy) take a mower in one time because it wouldn't
start and the guy charged him $50 to replace the sparkplug....He called
it a "tuneup"...LOL

Told my friend, call me the next time you have a problem with something
before you get taken advantage of.

===============
Gosh I am an older guy myself.... BUT I do not see why you would say
"your" older friend was taken advantage of...

The repair shop FIXED the mower, charged your friend for the time to
figure out why the mower would not start, plus for a sparkplug...and
for the time to install the plug...

What is the FIRST thing that someone checks when a mower doesn't start
(besides the gas)the plug......I'm sorry, but replacing a sparkplug
isn't worth $50....IF, he would have called me I could of fixed it for
2 dollars.

I've been in the autoglass business for over 20 yrs and I've done a
MANY a freebie over the yrs.....You don't ALWAYS have to rape someone
when it is something minor.

Example: On Wednesday I took a "Hunter Original" ceiling fan to a
Hunter Dealer because I thought it needed a new capacitor, the guy took
the fan to the back, tested it, replaced the "switch", and gave me a
tube of oil for the fan for FREE.

I'm just saying, the guy could have charged him A LOT less than $50 to
replace a spark plug.

Some things you just don't have to charge ppl for.

Another example....Ever had a rear view mirror fall off a windshield?
Did ya try and glue it on yourself? Rear view mirrors that are glued to
the windshield fall off ALL the time and the only way to glue them back
is to have the right glue, which at an auto parts store will run you
about 5 bucks.....The glue is a ONE time shot, screw up, you just
wasted 5 bucks.

I can buy the glue (which is a 2 part primer and glue) for $15 and I
can glue on 100's of mirrors with it and it only takes 1-2
minutes.....I have NEVER had any company that I have worked for (or
even when I had my own business) charge for this, it's a courtesy for
future business.

If the customer wants to tip me, fine, other than that, all I expect is
a THANK YOU, if I ever need a piece of glass i know where to come.

Even though I am retired, I still remember the good old days when I
honestly charged for my services... I see absolutely no reason the
Lawnmower repair man should not...

Key word "honestly"....The guy could have installed the plug, if it
DIDN'T start, then he could have started charging the flat rate....IMO

Like I said in my first post, he has NO competition in his area, I bet
if someone was to open a BIG NICE shop right across the street he
wouldn't be charging ppl $50 for spark plugs and $6 for primer bulbs.

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron, Justin Kase wrote:
You bought a McColluck? Really?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ost-23389-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron, Justin Kase wrote:
You should take it to my friend Warren. He fixes stuff parttime in his back
yard. He doesn't charge much, but you have to supply the parts unless he can
pull it off something in his junk pile. Tell his wife Susan "hello" for me. If
you're lucky she might be making dinner and send you home with a plate. They
are good people.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ost-23389-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BocesLib, Justin Kase wrote:
$6 is a bargain for a repair. Most shops charge a minimum of $30 just for the
privilege of breathing their rarefied air.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ost-23389-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 10:44:06 AM UTC-4, Justin Kase wrote:
replying to BocesLib, Justin Kase wrote:
$6 is a bargain for a repair. Most shops charge a minimum of $30 just for the
privilege of breathing their rarefied air.

--

Some people are never happy. A guy has a mower that won't run, takes it
to a repair shop, they diagnose it, change the spark plug and probably

Another guy does the repair himself, pays $6 for a primer bulb at the
local shop where he can drive over and walk away with it, he's not
happy. the other alternative is you can typically order those
from China for $1, but you have to wait maybe 3 weeks for it to arrive.
You could typically find a US seller on Ebay for $3.50, but then you'd
have to wait a few days. There are a range of choices, but some people,
you just can't make happy. Me? I just see a range of alternatives,
of options and none of those seem unreasonable or out of line to me.

primer questions Melissa Home Repair 17 July 23rd 05 07:16 AM
Diluting Interior Primer [email protected] Home Repair 4 January 24th 05 06:39 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Bulb Out Indicator circuit Jeff Klein Home Repair 30 February 16th 04 07:09 PM