Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

nblomgren

Default Light bulb problem

The small bulb on our Frigidaire exterior ice/water dispenser burned
out recently -- we leave it on all the time. However, when we put in a
new bulb, it instantly burned out. We thought it might be a defective
bulb, but the next one did the same thing.

Any ideas what might be happening? Can we repair this ourselves?

Thanks!

--Nan
TKM

"nblomgren" wrote in message

The small bulb on our Frigidaire exterior ice/water dispenser burned
out recently -- we leave it on all the time. However, when we put in a
new bulb, it instantly burned out. We thought it might be a defective
bulb, but the next one did the same thing.

Any ideas what might be happening? Can we repair this ourselves?

Thanks!

--Nan

Bulbs can fail for lots of reasons; but in this situation check the socket
voltage if you can (an inexpensive multi-meter will do the job). If the
voltage at the socket is more (much more) than the rating of the bulb, you
have a wiring problem.

But, I'm guessing that you had a couple of defective replacement bulbs.
Unfortunately, when a manufacturer makes a defective bulb, they often make
many of them until the problem is discovered. And factory tests may not
catch them all.

If the socket voltage tests O.K., put in another replacement; but get it
from another store and use another brand if you can.

TKM

nblomgren

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:01:49 GMT, "TKM" wrote:

"nblomgren" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks! We don't have a multimeter, so we tried another set of bulbs
from another store first. Same brand, though -- these blew out, as
well.

Time to get a multimeter.

--nb

Al Bundy

nblomgren wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:01:49 GMT, "TKM" wrote:

"nblomgren" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

There are a number of appliance repair sites that you could check for
help. Some offer email responses.
But just off hand, are you sure that the replacement bulbs are the
correct voltage as original? You will want to know the voltage anyway
if you are going to test the output at the socket. If they are 120V I
don't see how you would be getting higher voltage there. Likely, they
are designed to operate on far less or even on DC. There could be a
diode or transformer used to reduce the voltage and either could be
defective. So I'd be looking for direct brand advice or a wiring
diagram.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
nblomgren

On 15 Nov 2005 06:44:08 -0800, "Al Bundy"
wrote:

There are a number of appliance repair sites that you could check for
help. Some offer email responses.
But just off hand, are you sure that the replacement bulbs are the
correct voltage as original? You will want to know the voltage anyway
if you are going to test the output at the socket. If they are 120V I
don't see how you would be getting higher voltage there. Likely, they
are designed to operate on far less or even on DC. There could be a
diode or transformer used to reduce the voltage and either could be
defective. So I'd be looking for direct brand advice or a wiring
diagram.

The bulbs were the right voltage.

We finally tracked down a different brand... They worked!

Looks like we tapped into a huge batch of bad bulbs. Same brand, but
different stores.

But the refrigerator's now back to normal.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

--Nan