Mel

Default Want a longer lasting light bulb

I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

Joseph Meehan

Mel wrote:
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every
winter to keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb
out there? These usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I
catch it or I could have problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at
our 115 last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs
if they are the solution?

You can get 130W lamps if you hunt for them. What I suggest is putting
two 120V (US standard lamps) in a series so the current flows through one
and then through the second one. That means each lamp gets only 60V.
Remember that they will make less heat that way so two pair of 40W lamps
will provide about the same heat as two 25W lamps as you have then wired
now. You can also use a diode to reduce the voltage 50% but I think the
double lamp is more trouble free.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

HerHusband

I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every
winter to keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb
out there?

If you were simply needing a long lasting bulb, I would suggest compact
fluorescents. They last years. Of course, they won't put off enough heat
to be useful in your situation.

They do make "long life" light bulbs. They are actually bulbs rated for
130V, so they run at less than full load when run on standard 120V power.

Using a similar idea, you might get longer bulb life if you install a
dimmer switch so the bulbs aren't running full power. Of course, you'll
probably need to increase the wattage of the bulb to compensate for the
decreased heat output.

You can also try bulbs rated for ceiling fans. They have a bit sturdier
construction than regular bulbs, as they have to resist the vibration
from ceiling fans.

Otherwise, leave the bulbs on all the time. The thermal shock of turning
the light on and off is what tends to burn out bulbs the most.

You might also consider a dedicated heater with a thermostat. They're
fairly inexpensive, and will last a very long time. I use a small 2' long
electric baseboard heater (about 500 watts), so I don't have a fan or
other moving parts to worry about. Works fine.

Anthony
m Ransley

I brought 220v bulbs back from Europe in 74, they have lasted 10-15
years run apx 6 hrs a day, google 220v bulbs. With incandesant bulbs
they are truely "Heaters" out puting only apx 10% light and 90% heat.
But you still loose that 10%. why wouldnt one 40 watt pipe freeze wire
just hanging work, you will get very long safe life and 100% heat
output.

Duane Bozarth

Mel wrote:

I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

130V bulb or alternatively, buy a rugged-use bulb designed for such
applications as drop-cord trouble lights, etc. On the farm w/ more
voltagle fluctuations than most townies owing to longer lines and the
large well loads not being balanced by as many other loads I use 130V
bulbs exclusively. Makes big difference in lifetime.

Beachcomber

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:17:58 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Mel wrote:

I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

130V bulb or alternatively, buy a rugged-use bulb designed for such
applications as drop-cord trouble lights, etc. On the farm w/ more
voltagle fluctuations than most townies owing to longer lines and the
large well loads not being balanced by as many other loads I use 130V
bulbs exclusively. Makes big difference in lifetime.

I've seen small, radiant, fan-forced electric heaters as low as 500
watts. Such a heater on a line-voltage thermostat will probably save
you money as it will only call for heat when needed and you will have
some flexibility in determining the set-point. You can even use an
electric oil-filled radiator on the low setting. Unlike the bulbs,
these heaters last for years and almost never burn out.

Also, if your pump house is visible from the house, you can easily rig
up some sort of indicator light that comes on when thermostat is
calling for heat.

Beachcomber

dean

Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer Dimmer

150W on 1/4 power. Will last for ever.

TURTLE

"Mel" wrote in message
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to keep
things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These usually
of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

This is Turtle.

The problem is you have a 120 volt rated light bulb attached to a so called 115
volt service but it is really 123 or 124 volt service going to most houses. So
you have 124 volt electric service supplied to a light bulb rated for 120 volts
service. So the light bulb is on voltage service higher than the light bulb is
rated for.

So find you some Ruff Service light bulbs or really just 130 rated volt light
bulbs. All automotive Parts store [ auto zone, Napa , or Pep Boy ] carry ruff
service light bulbs and will have them for about $1.00 each. Also
www.granger.com [ not the correct sight I think ] has these bulb called ruff
service light bulbs. Now here is a warning here. If you want the light of a 75
watt bulb , you better get a 100 watt rated ruff surevice light bulb to get 60
watts of light. The Granger ruff service light bulbs last a long time [ like 2
to 4 years ] but just are very short of light of what it is stated as wattage to
be given off. Here is a scale to see.

100 watt Ruff service = to a 75 watt regular light bulb.
75 watt Ruff service = to a 50 watt regular light bulb.
60 watt ruff service = to a 45 watt regular light bulb.
45 watt Ruff service = to a 25 watt regular light bulbs.

Now the bulbs at the auto parts houses seem to burn brighter than the www
granger bulbs do.

Now also most all Helicopter landing pads with lighting will have ruff service
130 volt light bulbs in them. They don't like changing light bulb either.

TURTLE

Andy Hill

"Mel" wrote:
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

If you can't track down the 230V bulbs, screw-in halogen bulbs (e.g., Phillips
Halogena) tend to have quite a bit longer life than standard incandescents.
Tim Killian

Mel wrote:
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

You might try using some of the self-regulating heat strips. They look
like a rubber extension cord and draw very little power at temperatures
above 50F. As the temperature drops, they start to warm up. I like them
better than bulbs because you can wrap them around pipes and pumps, and
they won't burn out like a light bulb.

I also think you should look into self regulating heat tracing. I
think you would be amazed how well (and efficient) even a low wattage
one on an insulated pipe will work for freeze protection.

However, if you insist on using light bulbs, try adding more of them
and don't necessarily replace them at the same time (stagger them) so
they don't all go out at the same time.

Joseph Meehan

m Ransley wrote:
I brought 220v bulbs back from Europe in 74, they have lasted 10-15
years run apx 6 hrs a day, google 220v bulbs. With incandesant bulbs
they are truely "Heaters" out puting only apx 10% light and 90% heat.
But you still loose that 10%. why wouldnt one 40 watt pipe freeze wire
just hanging work, you will get very long safe life and 100% heat
output.

Actually you would not loose even that 10% in a typical pump house. The
light will fall on a wall, where it is absorbed and turned to heat. Both
kinds of bulbs are 100% efficient unless the light leaves the room as light.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

m Ransley

Running two bulbs in series or a dimmer are a good idea, a bulb rated at
1000hrs may last 5000hrs at 50% power and at 10% maybe 100000 hrs.
Thermostat heat tape may be better it lasts, comes on only when needed
and heats what is needed and the air. Insulate the box better with foam,
if it gets sun paint it flat black. Something flat black can reach
80-120 degrees greater than air temp, even at 0f. For a bulb to be 100%
efficient the box has to not absorb and loose any heat, probably a
mirrored interior. For heat tape you may only need 20-30 watts.

Roger Taylor

If you don't need the lighting there all the time, try using a Goldenrod
tube heater - I use them to raise temperature and lower humidity in several
closets and enclosed spaces. Available from 12 watts on upwards. Very
reliable, do not burn out, and none of their energy goes into lighting, if
that is not needed in the pump house. Many retailers, mostly marine supply
places, but here is garden shop offering one:
http://www.onestopgardens.com/osg/ta...emnumber=41100

Default What I used to do in that situation...

Mel wrote:
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every winter to
keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb out there? These
usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I catch it or I could have
problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at our 115
last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs if they are the
solution?

First, use raychem frostex heat tape where I could. It's not cheap,
but it's very durable, effective, and very easy to install. Google for
it, and get the 50' truck-pack.

Next, where I couldn't, I installed two 40W bulbs. One bulb was on a
photocell. The photocell was just a cheap (under $10.00) doohickey
designed to make a light come on at night. One end screwed into the
bulb socket and the bulb screwed into a socket in the photocell.

So, now I had a backup!

Roger Taylor wrote:

If you don't need the lighting there all the time, try using a Goldenrod
tube heater - I use them to raise temperature and lower humidity in several
closets and enclosed spaces. Available from 12 watts on upwards. Very
reliable, do not burn out, and none of their energy goes into lighting...

Light turns to heat when it hits walls.

Nick

m Ransley

Yes ight turns to heat when it his walls and unless a fully reflective
barrier is used a major portion of that iis lost to the outside

Joseph Meehan

m Ransley wrote:
Yes ight turns to heat when it his walls and unless a fully reflective
barrier is used a major portion of that iis lost to the outside

Without windows the light hits the interior wall of the building turning
to heat at the wall. Most of that will remain inside, although it will
loose a little more than if it hit an interior wall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM