Joseph Meehan

Default Want a longer lasting light bulb

Mel wrote:
I put two standard 25-40 watt light bulbs in my pump house every
winter to keep things from freezing. Is there a longer lasting bulb
out there? These usually of out mid-winter and I have to make sure I
catch it or I could have problems.

I read where putting in European Bulbs that run off 230volts, run at
our 115 last a long time. Only problem, where do I get these bulbs
if they are the solution?

You can get 130W lamps if you hunt for them. What I suggest is putting
two 120V (US standard lamps) in a series so the current flows through one
and then through the second one. That means each lamp gets only 60V.
Remember that they will make less heat that way so two pair of 40W lamps
will provide about the same heat as two 25W lamps as you have then wired
now. You can also use a diode to reduce the voltage 50% but I think the
double lamp is more trouble free.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit