Electronics (alt.electronics)

Richard Waters

Default Light Bulb Problem...?

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone
know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the
"guts" of the base and replace it with something else, and then
superglue the glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard
DBLEXPOSURE

"Richard Waters" wrote in message
I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone know a
way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the "guts"
of the base and replace it with something else, and then superglue the
glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

*YES* I know it wont work again after this.

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

Cheers, Richard

Then use magic!

Just kidding....

There are diamond cutting discs you get buy that are made for use with
dremmel tools. If you use it on the dremmel I would suggest very slow
speed. Perhaps cutting the glass with the wheel by hand would work better.
Or even a diamond file. Or a bottle cutter... There is a plethora of glass
cutting tools out there...

Jim

"Richard Waters" wrote in message news:430be2e0
*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

So is John Howard and I can't help him either ! ))))))

Cheers
Jim

Phil Allison

"Richard Waters"
I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone know a
way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the "guts"
of the base and replace it with something else, and then superglue the
glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

** Hot air ( from a paint striper gun ) or a gas flame played on the metal
base should separate them.

.......... Phil

Mark Harriss

Phil Allison wrote:
"Richard Waters"

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone know a
way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

I need to be able to separate the glass, from the base, remove the "guts"
of the base and replace it with something else, and then superglue the
glass back to the base so it looks like a normal light globe.

** Hot air ( from a paint striper gun ) or a gas flame played on the metal
base should separate them.

......... Phil

Isn't this a landlord's recipe for getting rid of problem squatters?:
bulb hooked up to a detonator, surrounded by a bag full of S**t.
Squatter reaches for the lightswitch and BANG!!: the room has been
explosively redecorated in a rather smelly fashion.

Jasen Betts

In article , Richard Waters wrote:
I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone
know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

use a propane blow torch (or gas flame etc) to heat the base of the
bulb until the adhesive in there lets go. (you'll smell it)
That'll get you an intact glass part. and a metal part with melted solder,

if you need a virgin metal part too you'll need to take another bulb and break
the glass out of it,

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

you may find that glazing silicone or hot melt-glue does a better job of
sticking the two halves back together.

good luck

Bye.
Jasen
Richard Waters

Jasen Betts wrote:
In article , Richard Waters wrote:

I need to separate the glass globe from the metal base - does anyone
know a way of doing this while still keeping the 2 halves intact?

use a propane blow torch (or gas flame etc) to heat the base of the
bulb until the adhesive in there lets go. (you'll smell it)
That'll get you an intact glass part. and a metal part with melted solder,

if you need a virgin metal part too you'll need to take another bulb and break
the glass out of it,

*NO* Im not a bomber or an idiot, but close, Im a Professional Magician!

you may find that glazing silicone or hot melt-glue does a better job of
sticking the two halves back together.

good luck

Bye.
Jasen

Thanks Jasen and Phil!

Ill be giving them a go this weekend - I got a mate who has a
professional paint removing heat gun, if that doesnt work I have a
mechanic mate that has a blow torch!

;-)

Cheers for the ideas! :-)

--Richard
lee

Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it until
the solder melts, should pull apart. Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Don Kelly

"lee" wrote in message
Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it
until
the solder melts, should pull apart. Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Shouldn't need to get it that hot. You are just melting glue. You will end
up with the galss bulb with a couple of thin wires connecting it to the
base-just pull- works everytime when the base is "stuck" in the socket- you
end up with a bulb in hand and a base that has to be removed with pliers
(power off please).

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

Winston

Don Kelly wrote:
"lee" wrote in message

Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it
until
the solder melts, should pull apart. Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Shouldn't need to get it that hot. You are just melting glue. You will end
up with the galss bulb with a couple of thin wires connecting it to the
base-just pull- works everytime when the base is "stuck" in the socket- you
end up with a bulb in hand and a base that has to be removed with pliers
(power off please).

WITH POWER OFF a safer way to remove the base is to slice a potato in
half and impale the sliced end onto the socket. Twist it out!

--Winston
Don Kelly

----------------------------
"Winston" wrote in message
Don Kelly wrote:
"lee" wrote in message

Heat will do it! Use a butane torch and some welder's gloves. Heat it
until
the solder melts, should pull apart. Don't set anything on fire Merlin!

Shouldn't need to get it that hot. You are just melting glue. You will
end up with the galss bulb with a couple of thin wires connecting it to
the base-just pull- works everytime when the base is "stuck" in the
socket- you end up with a bulb in hand and a base that has to be removed
with pliers (power off please).

WITH POWER OFF a safer way to remove the base is to slice a potato in
half and impale the sliced end onto the socket. Twist it out!

--Winston

------------------
I did say "power off please" - that's a given.

I am just as safe using my pliers to twist it out. At least, if power is on
I will trip the breaker. The potato is conductive enough to be a problem
while the pliers I use have insulated handles (even without these, I am
also deliberately not grounded and using myself to complete a circuit. ) . I
have also run into bulb bases that need more torque than a potato would
allow. Sometimes it is necessary to actually grab the rim of the base with
needle nosed pliers and twist it rather than grab the central stem.
However the potato does eliminate the problem with breaking off small pieces
of glass and cuts from these.

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

Dave White

So what if he did write this?
It was funny and made me laugh...
Lighten up...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

Mark Harriss wrote this crap:

Isn't this a landlord's recipe for getting rid of problem squatters?:
bulb hooked up to a detonator, surrounded by a bag full of S**t.
Squatter reaches for the lightswitch and BANG!!: the room has been
explosively redecorated in a rather smelly fashion.

Survey on Newsgroup Behavior Jens Arndt Home Repair 27 November 2nd 04 01:45 PM
Bulb Out Indicator circuit Jeff Klein Home Repair 30 February 16th 04 07:09 PM
Light bulb malfunction Oldylocks Home Repair 12 February 5th 04 01:51 PM
O-T light bulb Fuddzy Woodworking 2 January 15th 04 04:43 PM
Light Bulb Stormin Mormonn Home Repair 19 December 10th 03 03:28 AM