Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Tape Drywall Edges?

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

It's a garage so people are less fussy. However, you could use
J-channel (aka J-strip, J-molding, or J-bead) which comes in plastic or
metal and wraps the edge to protect it from dings.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Not sure how you got that situation, but a more durable and better approach to
taping would be to use a 1" or 2" wide piece of trim wood that was the same
thickness as the drywall. You could even use 1/4 round if you match the drywall
thickness.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 4:39 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

It's a garage so people are less fussy. However, you could use
J-channel (aka J-strip, J-molding, or J-bead) which comes in plastic or
metal and wraps the edge to protect it from dings.

Chris

Works great. I had to do it along the top of the 2" block kneewall on
my 3 season porch. Isn't even noticeable after painting. I used fine
finishing nails to be sure it wouldn't shift.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
Albert wrote:

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Not sure how you got that situation, but a more durable and better
approach to
taping would be to use a 1" or 2" wide piece of trim wood that was the
same
thickness as the drywall. You could even use 1/4 round if you match the
drywall
thickness.

They sell plastic and metal J-track for that situation- provides a nice
clean hard durable edge. Used commonly around fireplaces and exposed beams.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote:

They sell plastic and metal J-track for that situation- provides a nice
clean hard durable edge. Used commonly around fireplaces and exposed beams.

Very cool. Hadn't seen that before.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever."
Posted to alt.home.repair

J mould may be difficult for a beginner. L mould in plastic or
metal may be easier as it can be installed after the drywall is up
and it lends itself to mudding in better.

I prefer the plastic trim like Trim Tex. Go here
http://www.trim-tex.com/productsindex.htm and then click on
Tearaway & L Beads.

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges
that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a
corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is
there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall
compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan,

Which one is the easiest. J Beads or Fast Caps look likes it would
work. Just snap it on the edge and drywall the front face with mud?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges
that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a
corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is
there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall
compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

when I used the J mold, there was no need at all for mudding on the
face. I suppose tape and mud to "ramp up" to the j-mold might improve
things a bit but it looks like gilding the lily to me.

Harry K

Drywall tape? Steve Thrasher Home Repair 8 March 30th 06 05:17 AM
drywall tape frank smith Home Repair 13 February 11th 06 12:04 AM
Sealing raw drywall edges J.B. Bobbitt Home Repair 7 March 15th 05 09:08 PM
Do I need to use drywall tape? Mike Walker Home Ownership 1 January 12th 05 03:39 PM
How to screw drywall edges? danders Home Repair 4 November 23rd 04 05:43 PM