DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How Tape Drywall Edges? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/198780-how-tape-drywall-edges.html)

Albert April 24th 07 12:27 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Chris Friesen April 24th 07 12:39 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

It's a garage so people are less fussy. However, you could use
J-channel (aka J-strip, J-molding, or J-bead) which comes in plastic or
metal and wraps the edge to protect it from dings.

Chris

Rick Blaine April 24th 07 01:41 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

Albert wrote:

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Not sure how you got that situation, but a more durable and better approach to
taping would be to use a 1" or 2" wide piece of trim wood that was the same
thickness as the drywall. You could even use 1/4 round if you match the drywall
thickness.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever."

Harry K April 24th 07 03:39 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

On Apr 23, 4:39 pm, Chris Friesen wrote:
Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

It's a garage so people are less fussy. However, you could use
J-channel (aka J-strip, J-molding, or J-bead) which comes in plastic or
metal and wraps the edge to protect it from dings.

Chris

Works great. I had to do it along the top of the 2" block kneewall on
my 3 season porch. Isn't even noticeable after painting. I used fine
finishing nails to be sure it wouldn't shift.

Harry K

aemeijers April 24th 07 03:51 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
Albert wrote:

Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

Not sure how you got that situation, but a more durable and better
approach to
taping would be to use a 1" or 2" wide piece of trim wood that was the
same
thickness as the drywall. You could even use 1/4 round if you match the
drywall
thickness.

They sell plastic and metal J-track for that situation- provides a nice
clean hard durable edge. Used commonly around fireplaces and exposed beams.

aem sends...

Rick Blaine April 24th 07 04:22 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

"aemeijers" wrote:

They sell plastic and metal J-track for that situation- provides a nice
clean hard durable edge. Used commonly around fireplaces and exposed beams.

Very cool. Hadn't seen that before.

DanG April 24th 07 05:38 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

J mould may be difficult for a beginner. L mould in plastic or
metal may be easier as it can be installed after the drywall is up
and it lends itself to mudding in better.

I prefer the plastic trim like Trim Tex. Go here
http://www.trim-tex.com/productsindex.htm and then click on
Tearaway & L Beads.

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges
that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a
corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is
there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall
compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Albert April 24th 07 05:56 AM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

Dan,

Which one is the easiest. J Beads or Fast Caps look likes it would
work. Just snap it on the edge and drywall the front face with mud?

Harry K April 24th 07 03:59 PM

How Tape Drywall Edges?

Albert wrote:
Putting drywall up in the garage and there will be some edges
that
will be exposed and not flush with other drywall and not in a
corner.
What is the best solution as to how to treat these edges? Is
there
tape I should put over the ends prior to using a drywall
compound on
the seems, or simply paint the edges, etc. ????

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

when I used the J mold, there was no need at all for mudding on the
face. I suppose tape and mud to "ramp up" to the j-mold might improve
things a bit but it looks like gilding the lily to me.

Harry K