Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Thrasher

Default Drywall tape?

I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Steve Thrasher wrote:
I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

Most pros still use the paper tape, but the mesh is OK to use where the
panels come together evenly or on a small repair job. Still best to use
paper on corners. Some people make the mistake of putting the mesh on a
flat area and then spred the mud right down to the top of the mesh which
shows easier then paper, but that's the wrong technique.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Steve Thrasher wrote:
I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

They're both fine if you use them right. Both have problems if you
don't.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

I prefer to use paper tape in corners. Mainly because my knife tends to
vibrate on the mesh. The crease in the paper tape makes for a clean corner.
Paper tape is cheaper. Since I use paper in the corners generally I use
paper everywhere. Mesh may be easier for a beginner. Once the job is
finished I don't think it matters if paper or mesh was used.

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JillAdams

Joey wrote:
Steve Thrasher wrote:

I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

the difference with paper tape is that that tape needs a light coat of
mud to stick to. The mesh tape can be "pressed" on first....

Most pros still use the paper tape, but the mesh is OK to use where the
panels come together evenly or on a small repair job. Still best to use
paper on corners. Some people make the mistake of putting the mesh on a
flat area and then spred the mud right down to the top of the mesh which
shows easier then paper, but that's the wrong technique.

the only reason to put on tape is to prevent cracking. Building codes
require tape or mesh... Wether the paper and grid tape really make a
difference is to be seen.

if the walls and foundation is built correctly, you wont need tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

"JillAdams" wrote in message

Joey wrote:
Steve Thrasher wrote:

I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

the difference with paper tape is that that tape needs a light coat of mud
to stick to. The mesh tape can be "pressed" on first....

Most pros still use the paper tape, but the mesh is OK to use where the
panels come together evenly or on a small repair job. Still best to use
paper on corners. Some people make the mistake of putting the mesh on a
flat area and then spred the mud right down to the top of the mesh which
shows easier then paper, but that's the wrong technique.

the only reason to put on tape is to prevent cracking. Building codes
require tape or mesh... Wether the paper and grid tape really make a
difference is to be seen.

How about just using wide masking tape? That stuff will REALLY stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Mulvey

"Steve Thrasher" wrote in message
I heard an interesting conversation the other day. The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

If you use the mesh you need to mud with dura-bond or E-Z sand for the tape
coat. Drying type mud isn't strong enough.
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Boulter

Steve Thrasher wrote on 26 Mar 2006:

The person said you
should only use paper tape and never use the mesh stuff.

The person was mostly right. Read Mr. Mulvey's answer to you to
learn why. Using mesh tape WILL result in cracks in corners and
wall-ceiling joints unless the correct joint compound is used.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address