J.B. Bobbitt

Default Sealing raw drywall edges

I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the bad
drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall patch (~8"
X 12").

I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture. The hole
will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the idea of the raw
drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.

Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

--
J.B.Bobbitt

Joseph Meehan

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the
bad drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall
patch (~8" X 12").

I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture. The hole
will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the
idea of the raw drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.

Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

If it is drywall the surface is just as much of a problem as the edges.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
The surface will be painted w/ gloss enamel paint.

-jbb

That is nice, but not what I would consider real protection. Regular
drywall does not do will in damp conditions. They make a special product
for those situations. Are you sure it is standard drywall?

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the
bad drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall
patch (~8" X 12").

I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture.
The hole will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the
idea of the raw drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.

Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

If it is drywall the surface is just as much of a problem as the
edges. --
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

J.B. Bobbitt

I appreciate the insight.

No, I'm not sure. The piece I cut out has no identifying or distinguishing
markings, and it looks like regular drywall. This patch is above the
pre-fab shower enclosure, but the brass threaded elbow for the shower
fixture sits behind drywall about 8" above the lip of the enclosure.

The other thing I don;t like about this arrangement is that the bottom edge
of the drywall sits on the lip of the pre-fab enclosure all along the top of
the enclosure, and the caulk seal deteriorates and looks ragged.

I'm starting to think the builder didn't do this quite right.

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the
bad drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall
patch (~8" X 12").

I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture.
The hole will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the
idea of the raw drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.

Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

If it is drywall the surface is just as much of a problem as the
edges. --
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Mike Dobony

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
m...
I appreciate the insight.

No, I'm not sure. The piece I cut out has no identifying or

distinguishing
markings, and it looks like regular drywall. This patch is above the
pre-fab shower enclosure, but the brass threaded elbow for the shower
fixture sits behind drywall about 8" above the lip of the enclosure.

The other thing I don;t like about this arrangement is that the bottom

edge
of the drywall sits on the lip of the pre-fab enclosure all along the top

of
the enclosure, and the caulk seal deteriorates and looks ragged.

I'm starting to think the builder didn't do this quite right.

What else would you suggest doing, putting the lip on top of the drywall?
Your arrangement is standard procedure and is usually done with green board,
that is, water resistant drywall. That is what I did with a shower and a
bath tub 15 years ago. Still no problems.

--
Mike D.

www.stopassaultnow.net

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
I had a small shower fixture leak behind drywall. I've cut out the
bad drywall and repaired the leak, and now I'm replacing the drywall
patch (~8" X 12").

I've used a hole saw to cut the hole for the shower head fixture.
The hole will only be covered with a small flange. I don't like the
idea of the raw drywall edge being exposed to the moist environment.

Is there a preferred sealant or method for raw drywall edges?

Thanks a heap,
-jbb

If it is drywall the surface is just as much of a problem as the
edges. --
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

G Henslee

J.B. Bobbitt wrote:
I appreciate the insight.

No, I'm not sure. The piece I cut out has no identifying or distinguishing
markings, and it looks like regular drywall. This patch is above the
pre-fab shower enclosure, but the brass threaded elbow for the shower
fixture sits behind drywall about 8" above the lip of the enclosure.

The paper on the drywall would be green if it was water resistant.

The other thing I don;t like about this arrangement is that the bottom edge
of the drywall sits on the lip of the pre-fab enclosure all along the top of
the enclosure, and the caulk seal deteriorates and looks ragged.

That's how it is done.

J.B. Bobbitt

Thanks all.