Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tom J

Default How to do drywall taping without sanding?

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
As a contractor I did my first drywall taping job today and ate lots
of dust while sanding. Have you tried non sanding techniques and what
were good/bad things about them?

One person said he uses a wet hand towel.

I'm no contractor and only do drywall a couple of times a year, but I rarely
do any sanding at all. If the drywall is put up correctly, the paper cover
cut back on cut edges, and screws set below surface and a wide drywall taping
blade used, there should be nothing to sand.

I first use a 6 inch wide putty knife to put the 1st thin coat of joint
compound into the joint and just wide enough to bed the tape. I come back
while that compound is still wet and using the putty knife, "roll" the joint
tape into the putty bed to where it's smooth. If the tape is not laying flat
and in contact with the compound at this point, your application is flawed and
you need more practice. Once you learn this step, it's like riding a bike,
you'll always know how it's done. When this dries, I go back over the tape
with joint compound again with a thin layer that is about 4 or 5 inches wide
and feathered to nothing (flush) on each edge. If it's done correctly, when
this dries it should be reasonably smooth but feel the slight rise in the
surface when you run your hand across the joint. This is where the 12 inch
wide taping blade comes in. Use it to put on the final layer of joint
compound adding as little as possible right over the seam and running out
about 10 inches on each side of the seam with the compound. All this
application is straight in line with the joint and joint tape. A thick paint
brush with clear clean water in a pail can be used to dip the brush in the
water, let most run out of the brush, and then use a "flipping" motion in line
with the tape to add more moisture anytime it's not laying down smooth and
wanting to roll or lump up. Don't let the brush come in contact with the
compound.

Nail up some scrap and practice this and I think you'll quit sanding drywall!!

Tom J

Bubba Cooter

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:37:00 -0400, "Tom J" wrote:

Can you explain this a bit more "the paper cover cut back on cut
edges"

How do you prep the cut edges and any reccomendations on the "T" where
a tapered joint is perpendicular to a butt joint?