Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nasty Bolt

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Buy, rent or borrow an impact wrench and the right sized impact wrench
socket.

Preferably an air driven model, the smaller electric ones tend to either
be wimpy or they start smoking at too young an age.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

It's a reverse thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Apr 2007 14:14:48 -0700, wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Pull the spark plug wire and prevent accidental starting.

Put a "cheater bar" on the ratchet handle or an adjustable wrench on
the nut.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On 23 Apr 2007 14:14:48 -0700, wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Pull the spark plug wire and prevent accidental starting.

Put a "cheater bar" on the ratchet handle or an adjustable wrench on
the nut.
--
Oren

Also try a real penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster. WD-40 is not
that great as a penetrating oil, claims printed on the can to the contrary.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Apr 2007 14:14:48 -0700, wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Purchase an impact driver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 4:14 pm, wizof103 wrote:
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,

Sometimes an impact wrench will chatter along to no avail, and a
breaker bar will just round the nut. If this happens, and you have the
space to work it, use a disc grinder. By the time you're halfway
through the nut, it will probably spin off on its own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 5:14 pm, wizof103 wrote:
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat the fastener til it's just starting to glow red, then use the
impact
driver. If you've oxy-acetylene, if all else fails, just burn it off.
Not
likely, in my experience. At worst, a few cycles of heat/impact.

Need I mention that you should drain the tank, and keep
extinguisher(s)
handy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
wizof103 wrote:
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

If the blades rotate in opposite directions one of them will use a
left hand thread bolt.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Nut breaker and replace the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:04:06 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"wizof103" wrote in message
roups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Nut breaker and replace the thing.

Just exactly how do you use a nut breaker on a bolt?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on there
first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you think it will
let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Other than that, if it is configured right, you could grind the bolt head
off flush, and have enough of the shaft sticking out once you pull the blade
off. But you'd want to make damn sure first that you're going to have
enough bolt shaft left to stick out and get ahold of with a Vise Grip or
similar tool.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on
there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you think
it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Other than that, if it is configured right, you could grind the bolt head
off flush, and have enough of the shaft sticking out once you pull the
blade off. But you'd want to make damn sure first that you're going to
have enough bolt shaft left to stick out and get ahold of with a Vise Grip
or similar tool.

If he can't get the bolt off using the head, why should he be able to get it
off with vise grips on the shaft?

When I have had this problem I hit a breaker bar with a sledge hammer. It
worked, but may have taken a toll. The part the bolt went into fractured
one day while I was mowing the lawn. Didn't actually do any harm, but I
didn't dare use it after that and couldn't justify the price of a
replacement part on a 14 year old mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on
there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you
think it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Right. Heat will expand the bolt. When it's cherry red, pour cold water on
the bolt. It will contract rapidly and you'll be able to remove it with very
little pressure then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Oh, I don't know. I've been welding for 31 years now, and I have seen it
work many times to get a bolt out when nothing else will. In some cases, it
melts the seizant used when the bolt was installed.

If he can't get the bolt off using the head, why should he be able to get
it off with vise grips on the shaft?

Because maybe the head is the part seized onto the shaft. Once the nut
portion is ground off, heating, twisting, and a little punching should get
the blade off, and allow one to get to the threads, which is the part
holding it all in there. And the shaft of the bolt, which is an ideal place
to apply torque.

Or, as you suggest, one could just take a sledge hammer to it............

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jerryl" wrote in message
Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Conment to the above: The reason heat works is because the thermal
expansion distupts the bonds if corrosion between the mating threads.

Right. Heat will expand the bolt. When it's cherry red, pour cold water on
the bolt. It will contract rapidly and you'll be able to remove it with

very
little pressure then.

You do not need to quench the heated bolt with water, and you probably do
not need to heat the bolt to a cherry red. You are not heat treating here
all you are doing is disrupting the corrosive bonds.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:24:54 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

And whack the Vise Grip with a hammer. I've never been able to damage
a Vise Grip and they're not that expensive anyhow. And the shock of
the hammer is like an impact wrench but cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 04:29:57 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on
there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you think
it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

It seems that way in theory, but it works in practice. I had an AC
bracket on my '67 Pontiac Catalina with the 400 c.i. V-8 and since it
was a convertible and the AC was broken, and I couldn't remove the
sparkplug from the #1 cylinder, I decided to take the AC compressor
bracket out. I had cheap 3/8" socket wrenches and with my hands and
maybe a cheater bar actually super-torqued the 6" extension so that
the top was turning and the bottom wasn't moving at all.

Got another extension, ran the engine for 10 or 15 minutes and got the
bolt off with upper moderate to great effort.

Used a propane torch to heat up my motorcycle crankcase, and got out
all the bolts that I couldn't otherwise. Had stripped the head of the
first one. (They hadn't been turned since 1967, iirc.) I didn't heat
the bolt heads, but went around to the side of the case, sometimes
several inches below the head, and heated that.

Other than that, if it is configured right, you could grind the bolt head
off flush, and have enough of the shaft sticking out once you pull the
blade off. But you'd want to make damn sure first that you're going to
have enough bolt shaft left to stick out and get ahold of with a Vise Grip
or similar tool.

If he can't get the bolt off using the head, why should he be able to get it
off with vise grips on the shaft?

I agree with you here.

When I have had this problem I hit a breaker bar with a sledge hammer. It
worked, but may have taken a toll. The part the bolt went into fractured

Maybe a lighter hammer. You just want to knock the guy out, not break
his skull.

one day while I was mowing the lawn. Didn't actually do any harm, but I
didn't dare use it after that and couldn't justify the price of a
replacement part on a 14 year old mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:04:06 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"wizof103" wrote in message
groups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Nut breaker and replace the thing.

Just exactly how do you use a nut breaker on a bolt?

My bad, I was thinking of a bolt secured with a nut, just like a shock
absorber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hold it upside down, d'uh.

(Just kidding....)

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
:
: Nut breaker and replace the thing.
:
: Just exactly how do you use a nut breaker on a bolt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've found that the WD-40 sprayed on the bolt will somtimes both
separate, and lube.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jerryl" wrote in message
: Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a
Vise Grip on
: there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat
until you
: think it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little
prayer.
:
: Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.
:
: Right. Heat will expand the bolt. When it's cherry red, pour
cold water on
: the bolt. It will contract rapidly and you'll be able to remove
it with very
: little pressure then.
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight has an electric plug in impact wrench for about
$80. Goes on sale often for $40. That, and a ten dollar black
impact socket set. Very often the rattling of an impact wrench
will free up rusted on bolts. I've had good results with removing
rusted on wheel lugs, etc. So your mower bolt may respond to
impact wrench.

Heat it up with a torch will often assist. If you don't have
acetylene, the yellow tank Mapp torch from Home Depot does a very
nice job.

Please let us know how it works out.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
: I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of
the
: two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried
WD 40
: and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip
pliers,
: nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing.
Thanks
: in advance.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On 23 Apr 2007 14:14:48 -0700, wizof103 wrote:

I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Pull the spark plug wire and prevent accidental starting.

Put a "cheater bar" on the ratchet handle or an adjustable wrench on
the nut.
--
Oren

"I don't have anything against work. I just figure, why deprive somebody
who really loves it."

You will probably need to have someone hold the socket on the bolt when you
use the cheater bar (a piece of pipe) - have them use a foot. Also, strike
the bolt a strong blow or two with a hammer and then apply a better
penetrating oil than WD-anything, allow to soak for 30 minutes and then
strike again and re-apply. Don't go savage on the blow to the bolt and you
might want to place a piece of steel over the bolt head to use as a
protector to the bolt. You don't want to bugger up the edges of the bolt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 May 2007 17:26:02 -0400, "C & E"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

If the bolt head isnt buggered up already, you might want to buy a 6
point socket if you dont already have one., Maybe one designed for an
impact wrench. Make sure you jam the blade up good and tight with a
2x4 to keep it from turning while you pull your back out tugging on
the wrench.

The last time I had the dealer change the blades on my tractor, I
needed a cheater bar about 4 ft long to loosen the screws. Never
again.

I went to change the oil on my car once and never could get the
drainpan bolt out. I had to take it to the dealer for them to remove
it. Thats when I swore off Jiffy lube too.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

C & E wrote:

get some PB Blaster. comes in a spray can. will loosen anything rusted up.

Something nasty in the swimming pool ... Nigel Molesworth UK diy 36 April 19th 06 08:45 AM
Please read - nothing nasty Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 March 5th 06 01:39 PM
Yuck!!!!!!!! Nasty wood!!! [email protected] Woodturning 5 August 28th 05 12:31 AM
Nasty Lesson Bill Gooch Woodturning 10 March 7th 05 04:33 PM
Why heat bolt and not around bolt? Don Metalworking 21 March 12th 04 11:07 PM