Posted to alt.home.repair
jerryl jerryl is offline

Default Nasty Bolt

"Toller" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on
there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you
think it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Right. Heat will expand the bolt. When it's cherry red, pour cold water on
the bolt. It will contract rapidly and you'll be able to remove it with very
little pressure then.