Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Nasty Bolt

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"wizof103" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to change the blades on my lawnmower. I have one of the
two bolts loosened but the other will not budge. I have tried WD 40
and silicone spray. I have used a ratchet set, a power crip pliers,
nothing seems to work, any tricks to remove this nasty thing. Thanks
in advance.

Heat may work. OA torch, or small propane torch. Get a Vise Grip on
there first, set really tight. Remove Vise Grip, and heat until you think
it will let loose. Put Vise Grip on and say a little prayer.

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Other than that, if it is configured right, you could grind the bolt head
off flush, and have enough of the shaft sticking out once you pull the
blade off. But you'd want to make damn sure first that you're going to
have enough bolt shaft left to stick out and get ahold of with a Vise Grip
or similar tool.

If he can't get the bolt off using the head, why should he be able to get it
off with vise grips on the shaft?

When I have had this problem I hit a breaker bar with a sledge hammer. It
worked, but may have taken a toll. The part the bolt went into fractured
one day while I was mowing the lawn. Didn't actually do any harm, but I
didn't dare use it after that and couldn't justify the price of a
replacement part on a 14 year old mower.