Default Yuck!!!!!!!! Nasty wood!!!

Some lady at the church where my club meets called and asked me to turn
two spindles and fix a rocker thats going in their annual rummage sale.
I'm a nice guy (read can't say no) so I agree to do it free since the
church has been such a great space for us. She brought me the chair and
three sticks of mahogany. I turned the parts this morning and fixed the
chair but apparently the wood was treated with something. It smells
like a railroad tie and I can't get the smell or stickiness off of my
hands and arms. She said after the fact that her brother gave her the
wood and it was from something at the phone company. What would the
phine company use treated mahogany for and what would it be treated
with? I didn't say anything to her but I'm a little worried about this
stuff. I hope there was nothing that could make me sick. I don't feel
great. I don't know if it was the wood or if I was a little sick
anyway.It may be the latter.

JB

Richard Stapley

Jeff a couple of years ago I was offered some Mahogany????? at what appeared
to be a good price, but when I came to Turn it I had the same experience as
you described.

I later found out it was probably Maranti that had been Pressure Treated for
Protection and is used for Door Frames, Window Frames and Conservatories
etc.

Unfortunately it also did not Burn too well so it ended up in the Dump.

Richard
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Peter Hyde

In article ,
"Richard Stapley" wrote:

I later found out it was probably Maranti that had been Pressure Treated for
Protection and is used for Door Frames, Window Frames and Conservatories
etc.

Wow that sure sounds like overkill! Meranti is one of the most rot
resistant tropical hardwoods available. It's primary use before British
replacement window manufacturers found it, was for salt water dock
pilings because it is also resistant to wood boring sea worms.

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
nulli null

If this stuff came from the phone company and was near any electrical
circuitry
it could have been treated with an anti-fungal compound. This stuff does
smell
and it does prevent rot and mildew. I do not know the compound or compounds
used for this. I doubt they are toxic to humans.

Pat
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Jeff Bennett

It's official. I was sick as a dog last night. Migraine type headache from
11:00 PM-2:00 AM. All in all an awful night. Much better today though. Even
got motivated to turn a nice vase this afternoon