Don

Default Why heat bolt and not around bolt?

I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt? Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.
DOC

I tend to heat the bolt.

As far as I understand, bolts secure by clamping force and
that causes stretching along the length.

So if you heat the bolt, it becomes longer and the clamping force is
reduced.

So it's easier to remove.

DOC

"Don" wrote in message
m...
I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt? Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.

Jeff Wisnia

Don wrote:
I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt? Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.

I was tought that it's the differential expansion across the bolt/block
interface which cracks the rust. ("Block" being the thing the bolt's
screwed into.")

Jeff

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: I was tought that it's the differential expansion
across the bolt/block interface which cracks the rust.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is true that differential expansion could either make the bolt tighter or
looser, depending on the distribution of heat, but I don't think that is
what's working here. Hot rust is simply not as tough as cold rust. I would
heat the whole area, but concentrate the flame mainly on the bolt head.
That is the easiest place to apply the heat, which will then be conducted
down the bolt to the threads. If you tried to heat the "block" without
heating the bolt, I think you would have a hard time keeping the flame off
the bolt anyway. And, after you have applied enough heat to do some good,
conduction will probably result in a fairly even temperature distribution
across the thread interface.

The main object is to get it hot enough to weaken the bond, without getting
the steel so hot that you weaken it.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

[...]

Get it nice and hot, then spray the crap out of it with WD40 ( Shut off you
torch first )

The rapid cooling and vaporization will draw the gaseous form of the
lubricant into the interface on contraction and break the oxide into
smaller, dislodged particles.

I keep wondering if he is dealing with a left hand thread, thus complicating
the issue for him.

--

SVL

Ian Stirling

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
snip
I keep wondering if he is dealing with a left hand thread, thus complicating
the issue for him.

He said he got the other bolts off.
Having one bolt of a set LH would add comedy value though.
Leo Lichtman

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote: (clip) I keep wondering if he is dealing with a
left hand thread, thus complicating the issue for him.
^^^^^^^^^^
He got all the other bolts out, so that is doubtful.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote: (clip) I keep wondering if he is dealing with

left hand thread, thus complicating the issue for him.
^^^^^^^^^^
He got all the other bolts out, so that is doubtful.

Okay, you got me---I dont read this group regularly.........

Generally, Im at alt.machines.cnc--I come here sometimes out of desperation,
else inadvertantly due to a certain prolific crossposter.

See ya....

Dont forget the wd40 trick, while it might not be quite the ticket in this
case, it really does work good in a lotta cases.

--

SVL

Rick

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Get it nice and hot, then spray the crap out of it with WD40

WD-40 will only create a cloud of smoke and waste time and heat. Heat
the bolthead to near glowing and then apply beeswax to the joint.

Keep adding beeswax until it has had time to soak down the length of the
bolt, while still hot, turn in the direction to tighten bolt before
attempting to loosen it. Remove bolt.
Rick

Don Foreman

Coupla reasons.

Rust between bolt and block offers thermal resistance so heat transfer
from bolt to block is limited. That's good: the bolt is disposable,
don't care what we do to the bolt with heat.

Rust is a surprisingly good insulator. If you doubt that, watch the
guys at Midas cut a longitudinal slit in an exhaust pipe or muffler
with a torch, without harming the inside pipe at all.

You can get the bolt very hot without heating the block much at all,
if you use a concentrated heat source as O/A or an arc.

Expansion of the bolt in the hole will both crush and shear some of
the weaker rust. When it cools there'll be more clearance -- Kroil
may go where it wouldn't go before.

On 9 Mar 2004 05:35:02 -0800, (Don) wrote:

I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt? Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.

Don Foreman

Kroil really does work if anything will, so that is a very useful
bit of info. Thanks!

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:15:31 GMT, clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote:

. A 50 50 mix of Automatic trans fluid and laquer thinners does
a great job. Kroil, an old rust remedy, is basically just that.

Phil Kangas

I am a big fan of 50/50 atf/lt! The last instance was a
bearing on a de-barker head seized on the shaft.
Shaft is 2.188 dia and the inner race is 3" long. In
24 hours the 50/50 had penetrated 100% through!
Phil Kangas
--
Try to remove the yooper in me to reply.

wrote:

. A 50 50 mix of Automatic trans fluid and laquer

thinners does
a great job. Kroil, an old rust remedy, is basically just

that.

Mustmaker

I had occasion to meet the President of CRC, I mentioned Kroil and the guy took
a mini snap. He that everbody says Kroil was better, when he calmed down a
little he said that CRC had tried to buy Kroil and Kroil would not sell.

My experience as a mechanic in the shipyards was that Kroil was better, and
that when you were using a smoke wrench to heat fasteners for easier removal
you had better success with nuts by heating only one flat of the nut. Heating
and cooling cycles seemed to work best.
Steam turbine casing flanges used a bolt with a hole in it for a heater. You
heated the fastener then torqued it to a certain value, when the fastener
cooled it got really tight. The exact temps escape me.

John H.
Leo Lichtman

"Mustmaker" wrote: (snip) Steam turbine casing flanges used a bolt with a
hole in it for a heater. You heated the fastener then torqued it to a
certain value, when the fastener cooled it got really tight. (snip)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Now, THAT'S an interesting and little-known fact. I suppose, by wearing
leather gloves, and preheating bolts, could get them really tight.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...
PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Get it nice and hot, then spray the crap out of it with WD40

WD-40 will only create a cloud of smoke and waste time and heat. Heat
the bolthead to near glowing and then apply beeswax to the joint.

Dont tell me something I been doing for over 20 years dont work, Ive used
the method WAY too many times.

If WD40 wont penetrate the joint in a gaseous state, what makes you think
hot beeswax is gonna ?

--

SVL

Rick

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Dont tell me something I been doing for over 20 years dont work, Ive used
the method WAY too many times.

If WD40 wont penetrate the joint in a gaseous state, what makes you think
hot beeswax is gonna ?

More than 20 years working on marine steam and diesel plants where the
joints are exposed to temps near 900F when hot and moisture when cool.

There are many versions of mechanic-in-a-can and nothing, absolutely
nothing, works better than beeswax. It does not flash off and penetrates
far better than the extremely light oils used in household miracle
products.

Rick

Bray Haven

(2) When you heat the bolt, you send the heat down the bolt. This
causes it to expand, and then it shrinks as it cools, loosening the
binding. Also, expansion and contraction can be very local.

That's what I do on outboard motors with alum blocks etc. Very difficult to
drill a stainless bolt stub out of an alum block (. I then let the bolt cool
and before attempting to remove it, heat the area around it to expand it. Then
I try the bolt. Usually works on the first or second try.
Greg Sefton