Old Nick

Default Why heat bolt and not around bolt?

On 12 Mar 2004 13:49:58 GMT, (Bray Haven) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

That's what I do on outboard motors with alum blocks etc. Very difficult to
drill a stainless bolt stub out of an alum block (.

Not something I have tried, or look forward to with any pleasure.

I then let the bolt cool
and before attempting to remove it, heat the area around it to expand it. Then
I try the bolt. Usually works on the first or second try.

I guess with Auminium, "warm" would be more appropriate than "heat"
G. But yes, heating the surroundings a bit does help.

Greg Sefton

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?