Old Nick

Default Why heat bolt and not around bolt?

On 9 Mar 2004 05:35:02 -0800, (Don) vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

(1) So you don't **** up what the bolt's sitting in.

(2) When you heat the bolt, you send the heat down the bolt. This
causes it to expand, and then it shrinks as it cools, loosening the
binding. Also, expansion and contraction can be very local. Heat the
bolt and it supplies heat to a very thin layer around it (or sheer
physical force causes expansion of its surroundings and cracks the
binding). This is enough.

(3) It's what everyone says to do G

I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt?
Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

yes. But the gains are usually greater than the losses.

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?