Don Foreman

Default Why heat bolt and not around bolt?

Coupla reasons.

Rust between bolt and block offers thermal resistance so heat transfer
from bolt to block is limited. That's good: the bolt is disposable,
don't care what we do to the bolt with heat.

Rust is a surprisingly good insulator. If you doubt that, watch the
guys at Midas cut a longitudinal slit in an exhaust pipe or muffler
with a torch, without harming the inside pipe at all.

You can get the bolt very hot without heating the block much at all,
if you use a concentrated heat source as O/A or an arc.

Expansion of the bolt in the hole will both crush and shear some of
the weaker rust. When it cools there'll be more clearance -- Kroil
may go where it wouldn't go before.

On 9 Mar 2004 05:35:02 -0800, (Don) wrote:

I am curious, is it best to heat the bolt head itself or around the
bolt? Will Heating the bolt heat make it more prone to snapping off?

It seems heating a bolt would make it expand, making it tighter?

By the way on all the other bolts I removed there was no rust.