Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Nasty Bolt

"Toller" wrote

Heat will make the bolt expand and just get tighter.

Oh, I don't know. I've been welding for 31 years now, and I have seen it
work many times to get a bolt out when nothing else will. In some cases, it
melts the seizant used when the bolt was installed.

If he can't get the bolt off using the head, why should he be able to get
it off with vise grips on the shaft?

Because maybe the head is the part seized onto the shaft. Once the nut
portion is ground off, heating, twisting, and a little punching should get
the blade off, and allow one to get to the threads, which is the part
holding it all in there. And the shaft of the bolt, which is an ideal place
to apply torque.

Or, as you suggest, one could just take a sledge hammer to it............

Steve