Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How paranoid about light leaks from furnace UV filter?

I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good
things here and elsewhere.

I taped up the cold air return and Spaceguard filter with foil tape before
installing the UV filter. I saw a couple of leaks I missed when I first
fired it up. So I unplugged the filter and taped up the spots I missed. But
there are still a couple of indirect leaks (glow) around the humidifier and
the hatch for the Spaceguard filter. I plan to tape around the humidifier,
but I really can't tape up the door for the Spaceguard filter. Since the
furnace is in an enclosed space which keeps out man and beast, how worried
should I be about these minor leaks. Do I need to use a regular bulb (non
UV) to ferret out any small leaks?

Also I plan to write a few warnings here and there so the HVAC guy doesn't
blind himself come the annual cleaning. But I gather this is not a huge deal
or they would provide a few labels with this thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Bill Stock wrote:

I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good
things here and elsewhere.

I taped up the cold air return and Spaceguard filter with foil tape before
installing the UV filter. I saw a couple of leaks I missed when I first
fired it up. So I unplugged the filter and taped up the spots I missed. But
there are still a couple of indirect leaks (glow) around the humidifier and
the hatch for the Spaceguard filter. I plan to tape around the humidifier,
but I really can't tape up the door for the Spaceguard filter. Since the
furnace is in an enclosed space which keeps out man and beast, how worried
should I be about these minor leaks. Do I need to use a regular bulb (non
UV) to ferret out any small leaks?

You could get some poster paint and make a detector easily enough. Some
laundry detergents will also glow under UV (I think maybe Whisk is one).

Also I plan to write a few warnings here and there so the HVAC guy doesn't
blind himself come the annual cleaning. But I gather this is not a huge deal
or they would provide a few labels with this thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good
things here and elsewhere.

The title of this is "how paranoid about light leaks...." and the answer is
"very paranoid".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 21:29:37 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

[...]

I sit directly under one of those lights at the local titty bar
every night for about 5 hours. The only problem I have is that the
tops of my hands are a beautiful tan while the rest of me is not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob M." wrote in message
. ..

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good
things here and elsewhere.

The title of this is "how paranoid about light leaks...." and the answer

is
"very paranoid".

Depends on what wavelength and intensity the lamp
is running at.

Almost always the manufacturer (presuming it's not
a cheap overseas import, but even then one would
expect it to comply with US FDA regulations regarding
emission levels if it's being imported for sale in
the US), state safety precautions one should take
when servicing the lamps (or for that matter normal
day to day operation).

I think you have a legitimate concern, but my
involvement is with the type of UV equipment (and
lasers) that would most definitely be harmful to
human flesh/retinas.

Contact the manufacturer and find out what they
have to say on the topic.

A sidenote, UV lamps used for "tanning" emit a
different wavelength than ones used for cancelling
microbial organisms. Even then, most tan booths
require the victim to wear safety goggles that
filter out the otherwise harmful spectrum slice
that would fry their retinas/corneas.

keep this in mind when working near ANY UV
lamp !

(unrelated, i once witnessed a fellow worker
put his hand into the path of an invisible
wavelength high power laser beam - it punched
a hole clean through his hand - cauterizing
the flesh in the process. he didn't feel any
pain at the time of the mishap - but about a
minute later - look out ! the guy was in agony).

what you can't see/feel - CAN hurt you !

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

Unless you are spending a lot of time in the same room and close to that
furnace, there is nothing to worry about.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

more questions about my gas furnace - CO leaks Eigenvector Home Repair 6 October 21st 06 08:47 PM
Hamilton 12HF furnace humidifer leaks mark Home Repair 0 October 10th 06 04:30 PM
furnace filter david Home Ownership 3 December 23rd 05 04:42 PM
My gas Furnace would not light automatic pilot light CuriousJay Home Repair 2 October 23rd 05 04:10 AM
Furnace filter? Sandy K. Home Repair 6 July 20th 05 04:11 PM