Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default How paranoid about light leaks from furnace UV filter?

HUH!? Who cares if it leaks?

--
Steve Barker

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the good
things here and elsewhere.

I taped up the cold air return and Spaceguard filter with foil tape before
installing the UV filter. I saw a couple of leaks I missed when I first
fired it up. So I unplugged the filter and taped up the spots I missed.
But there are still a couple of indirect leaks (glow) around the
humidifier and the hatch for the Spaceguard filter. I plan to tape around
the humidifier, but I really can't tape up the door for the Spaceguard
filter. Since the furnace is in an enclosed space which keeps out man and
beast, how worried should I be about these minor leaks. Do I need to use a
regular bulb (non UV) to ferret out any small leaks?

Also I plan to write a few warnings here and there so the HVAC guy doesn't
blind himself come the annual cleaning. But I gather this is not a huge
deal or they would provide a few labels with this thing?