Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default How paranoid about light leaks from furnace UV filter?

Bill Stock wrote:
I just installed a UV filter for the furnace after reading all the
good things here and elsewhere.

I taped up the cold air return and Spaceguard filter with foil tape
before installing the UV filter. I saw a couple of leaks I missed
when I first fired it up. So I unplugged the filter and taped up the
spots I missed. But there are still a couple of indirect leaks (glow)
around the humidifier and the hatch for the Spaceguard filter. I plan
to tape around the humidifier, but I really can't tape up the door
for the Spaceguard filter. Since the furnace is in an enclosed space
which keeps out man and beast, how worried should I be about these
minor leaks. Do I need to use a regular bulb (non UV) to ferret out
any small leaks?
Also I plan to write a few warnings here and there so the HVAC guy
doesn't blind himself come the annual cleaning. But I gather this is
not a huge deal or they would provide a few labels with this thing?

Unless you are spending a lot of time in the same room and close to that
furnace, there is nothing to worry about.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit