Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Best" garage door opener?

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:
I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently
a Genie screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now
looking for a replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about
what is a really durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is
any specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Just re-read what you wrote: "most recently a Genie screw-drive unit I
installed about 18 years ago."

Frankly they all can last a long time, but I favor the screw drive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

If you got 18 years out of the screwdrive, why change?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Since I install then professionally sometimes, I prefer the
Chamberlain all chain drive with one piece rail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:00:30 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Repair parts is indeed a very big issue. I did have very good service from
my 18 year old Genie screw drive, but I now see that the long track and
drive screw have been replaced with shorter pieces which are spliced
together at the job site. I also get the impression that the whole unit,
including motor and drive mechanism is lighter and cheaper in construction.
I am actually bothered by the fact that my 18 year old unit cost me about
$140 and the replacement unit sells for only $30 bucks more, 18 years later.
Before committing to another Genie screw drive unit strictly based on past
performance, I want to see if there are newer, better, more recent designs
which I should consider.

Thanks for helping me and I very much appreciate any advice.

Smarty

wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Nelson. My first unit was a chain drive and it seemed to require
adjustment once a year or more to keep it working right. Is this still an
issue with the chain drive units, or did I have a poorly designed one? I
pulled the chain unit out after 5 or 6 years and put in the Genie screw
drive, and never had to do anything other than oil / lube it occasionally,
and rarely adjust the limit switch sensitivity.

Smarty

"Nelson Muntz" wrote in message
Smarty wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Since I install then professionally sometimes, I prefer the
Chamberlain all chain drive with one piece rail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the belt drives are quieter and faster. My overhead door units have metal
sprockets and one piece tracks. The ten footer is a belt, the nine footer
is a chain.

www.overheaddoor.com
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pid=46

The tracks (belt or chain) are interchangeable with the legacy head units.

--
Steve Barker

wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Steve,

Is there a particular brand of belt drive which is especially good /
reliable / easy to get parts for...?

Smarty

wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is
any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks very much. I went to the Overhead Door web site at:
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pid=49
and it appears they use their own private label brand openers, and that the
belt drive model is called "The Phantom". I will check it out and see how
much they charge to install their opener. I also see that they (as well as
Genie) now sell 3 different types, belt, chain, and screw. Must be that
there is demand and need for all 3......

Confusing.......

wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is
any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , on Sun, 22
Apr 2007 07:42:08 -0400, Smarty wrote:

Thanks very much. I went to the Overhead Door web site at:
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pid=49
and it appears they use their own private label brand openers, and that the
belt drive model is called "The Phantom". I will check it out and see how
much they charge to install their opener. I also see that they (as well as
Genie) now sell 3 different types, belt, chain, and screw. Must be that
there is demand and need for all 3......

Overhead Door owns Genie. Looking at the two web sites, the Genie Pro
Stealth appears to be the same opener as the Overhead Door Phantom.

http://www.geniecompany.com/geniecom...r.aspx?cid=305

In all probability, Genie remotes would also operate Overhead Door
openers. The remotes certainly *look* identical.

--
Seth Goodman

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can also match the legacy head with the belt track. That's what one of
mine is. And as far as I know, any rolling code remote will work with any
rolling code head. After all they sell universal ones that work with any
brand.

--
Steve Barker

wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently
a Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be
other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is
any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Wayne Dalton interesting unit. My parent's has had one on a Wayne Dalton
double door for 3.5 years with no problems. They also make a unit for non
Wayne Dalton doors:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_TorqueMaster.asp

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp

I am thinking of replacing my 3 openers with these units.

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Art. What a radically different approach! I never realized that such
a device exists. I watched the installation video on their website and it
seems within the realm of a good DIY person. I wonder what they charge to
put one of these units in? I imagine it is quite expensive but who knows.
The low noise is a nice plus...

Smarty

ink.net...

"Smarty" wrote in message
I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 22, 9:34 am, "Art" wrote:
Wayne Dalton interesting unit. My parent's has had one on a Wayne Dalton
double door for 3.5 years with no problems. They also make a unit for non
Wayne Dalton doors:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_TorqueMaster.asp

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp

I am thinking of replacing my 3 openers with these units.

I put in a idrive Torsion when they first came out in my area a
little
over 3 yrs ago. I absolutely love both how quiet the unit is and how
little space it takes up! On the minus side, the gearing in mine
stripped and locked up in the third year. I've also gone through
premature failure on the set of two remotes that came with the
unit. The remotes would not stay latched shut - touching them
would make them pop open and their batteries spill out.

To their credit, Wayne Dalton replaced all the items with no
problems, but it was a self-install and the rep was hinting that
WD may not re-replace the unit if it strips out again. So, I'm a
little
leery about their build quality and how far their warranty service
actually goes.

They may stand behind their product a little better if its installed
by a rep. I think they suspect that my garage door is mis-balanced
or is sticking (though the door was professionally installed
and opens manually one-handed). That's OK, I suspect their
original design didn't have enough mechanical margin. The
replacement unit has some noticable design changes in the
electronics, so I'm hoping that they also beefed up the gearing
a little too...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ya, I'll bet those are cheap.

--
Steve Barker

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Wayne Dalton interesting unit. My parent's has had one on a Wayne Dalton
double door for 3.5 years with no problems. They also make a unit for non
Wayne Dalton doors:

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_TorqueMaster.asp

http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp

I am thinking of replacing my 3 openers with these units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am coming to the conclusion that.....I've been so satisfied with my prior
Genie screw drive unit after 18 years of solid use that I should just go out
and buy another one, even though something better may be out there. Thanks
to all for great assistance.

Smarty

"Alan Chen" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 22, 9:34 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Wayne Dalton store near me is excellent on service. I had them fix an
opener. 9 months later the spring broke in the door. Completely unrelated
failures but they did not charge me any labor on the second repair because
they had fixed the opener for the same door 9 months earlier.

"Alan Chen" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 22, 9:34 am, "Art" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

"Smarty" wrote in message
I am coming to the conclusion that.....I've been so satisfied with my prior
Genie screw drive unit after 18 years of solid use that I should just go
out and buy another one, even though something better may be out there.
Thanks to all for great assistance.

Smarty

I've had the Genie screw drives at 2 houses over about 30 years. 1st one
was the one-piece drive, more recently the 2 piece. They both worked well.
Only thing I don't like about the newer ones is the way they shut off the
light automatically when the door is UP (on the old one the light remained
on indefinitely when the door was open). Usually if the door is up, I'm out
there & if I want the light OFF, I'll shut it off. Plus on more than one
occasion with the old one, I'd glance out & see the light on in the garage &
it would remind me I had forgotten to shut the door. I'm sure this is an
energy thing, but especially with compact fluorescent the energy is
negligible, plus I think having the light ON when the door is open deters
theft. As to screw or chain, all other things being equal, a screw drive
has FAR fewer moving parts, so will be more reliable. It's just a better
design, again all other things being equal.

As an interesting aside, according to the inflation calculator at
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ the $140 you paid 18 years ago would be
equivalent to $239.51 today, so the same unit costing $170 today probably
doesn't indicate any real difference in quality. They probably make/sell
more of them now than the did 18 years ago, lowering per unit costs, not to
mention the fact they're probably made overseas now all or in part, which
may not have been the case 18 years ago.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with everything you've said Dan, and conclude that another Genie
screw drive is the way to go. I too am disappointed with the change in the
lighting control, and also both rely on the light when I am out there in the
garage and also will occasionally be reminded that the door is open by
seeing the lights. All considered, I will still get the new Genie and live
with the modern "feature". The price is really reasonable, all considered.

Thanks again,

Smarty

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..