Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default "Best" garage door opener?

You can also match the legacy head with the belt track. That's what one of
mine is. And as far as I know, any rolling code remote will work with any
rolling code head. After all they sell universal ones that work with any
brand.

--
Steve Barker

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks very much. I went to the Overhead Door web site at:
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pid=49
and it appears they use their own private label brand openers, and that
the belt drive model is called "The Phantom". I will check it out and see
how much they charge to install their opener. I also see that they (as
well as Genie) now sell 3 different types, belt, chain, and screw. Must be
that there is demand and need for all 3......

Confusing.......

Smarty

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
other than the links already provided? Dunno. I just went with Overhead
door, 'cause they had what I needed. A residential style opener for a
10' door.

--
Steve Barker

"Smarty" wrote in message
Thanks Steve,

Is there a particular brand of belt drive which is especially good /
reliable / easy to get parts for...?

Smarty

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
the belt drives are quieter and faster. My overhead door units have
metal sprockets and one piece tracks. The ten footer is a belt, the
nine footer is a chain.

www.overheaddoor.com
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pid=46

The tracks (belt or chain) are interchangeable with the legacy head
units.

--
Steve Barker

"Smarty" wrote in message
Repair parts is indeed a very big issue. I did have very good service
from my 18 year old Genie screw drive, but I now see that the long
track and drive screw have been replaced with shorter pieces which are
spliced together at the job site. I also get the impression that the
whole unit, including motor and drive mechanism is lighter and cheaper
in construction. I am actually bothered by the fact that my 18 year
old unit cost me about $140 and the replacement unit sells for only
$30 bucks more, 18 years later. Before committing to another Genie
screw drive unit strictly based on past performance, I want to see if
there are newer, better, more recent designs which I should consider.

Thanks for helping me and I very much appreciate any advice.

Smarty

"deke" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:00:30 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently
a Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking
for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a
really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be
other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is
any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.