Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default "Best" garage door opener?

Repair parts is indeed a very big issue. I did have very good service from
my 18 year old Genie screw drive, but I now see that the long track and
drive screw have been replaced with shorter pieces which are spliced
together at the job site. I also get the impression that the whole unit,
including motor and drive mechanism is lighter and cheaper in construction.
I am actually bothered by the fact that my 18 year old unit cost me about
$140 and the replacement unit sells for only $30 bucks more, 18 years later.
Before committing to another Genie screw drive unit strictly based on past
performance, I want to see if there are newer, better, more recent designs
which I should consider.

Thanks for helping me and I very much appreciate any advice.

Smarty

"deke" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:00:30 -0400, "Smarty"
wrote:

I have owned both chain drive and screw drive openers, most recently a
Genie
screw-drive unit I installed about 18 years ago. As I am now looking for a
replacement, I would much appreciate any thoughts about what is a really
durable and low maintenance replacement.

I see screw, belt, and chain drives being sold, and there may be other
methods used now as well. Is any one approach vastly superior, and is any
specific brand really exceptional?

Thanks in advance.

Smarty

Either should last about 10 to 20 years.

My criteria is which model will be the easiest to find parts for if
something breaks.