Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe to Septic Tank

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?

paint it concrete grey and attach a bird bath on top? With spacers
to permit air flow.

lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

It could be a cleanout that was left high for some reason, or a vent. I'd
find out what it is, why it's so high, then proceed. They are usually cut
off at ground level, and a "Jim Cap" put on them. A rubber cover that has
two stainless steel hose clamps. You want to leave it low enough so you can
mow over it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

If it's capped (likely), it's simply a cleanout connection.
Cut it off low and cap it again.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 4:38 pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
car crash wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

If it's capped (likely), it's simply a cleanout connection.
Cut it off low and cap it again.

Jim

No it is an air vent I've confirmed. Does it have to be 3 feet off
the ground by code or something ??? Can I cut it in half and make it
much smaller. Its currently in the shape of a candy cane. None of
the pieces are glued together, I can pull the 3 pieces apart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 4:07 pm, "car crash" wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Maybe you should move to a real neighbourhood you peice of white trash
****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Apr 2007 15:26:39 -0700, "Harry Delaney"
wrote:

On Apr 8, 4:07 pm, "car crash" wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Maybe you should move to a real neighbourhood you peice of white trash
****.

STFU

--
Oren

"Too many beggars trying to be choosers."
Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:

[...]

Ah. Yes, vent. If you are really concerned about
any Code issues, a call to the County should clarify the
requirements. The height could be an issue if you get
deep snow there, or possible flooding during rains.

Otherwise, just cut it down, as you said. You could even
reduce the diameter which will make the return bend ("U")
a lot smaller. It can always be restored to original
if need be. Your call...

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

ps.com...
car crash wrote:
[...]

Now that you make me think about it, where I've seen vents out in the
septic field they've always been higher than the trap at the house leading
to the field.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:55:40 -0400, "Berkshire Bill"
wrote:

ups.com...
car crash wrote:
[...]

When I thought about it I could never; ever, remember one three feet
tall in FRONT of a house...any house?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Don't touch it! You might blow up!
Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
[...]

Seems to me that vent pipe(s) would be on roof of house. I have a
clean-out pipe capped at ground level but vents are on roof.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 19:27:18 -0400, "GROUP MODERATOR"
wrote:

paint it green

You need another NYM; maybe, OK SUK WHANG.

Do not still this person's identity. Died: 4/4/90?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:59:52 -0400, Ty Whok wrote:

Don't touch it! You might blow up!

Related to OK SUK WHANG, died 1990? Born August 18, 1901?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

paint it green

You need another NYM; maybe, OK SUK WHANG.

why?

Do not still this person's identity. Died: 4/4/90?

huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 3:07 pm, "car crash" wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

If it ain't broke....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 8 Apr 2007 13:07:34 -0700, "car crash" wrote:

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Don't konw about your situation, but I see a possible similarity with
a n'hood I walk through a couple times a week. The n'hood I'm
thinking of has city sewers, but it is about 10 years old and each
front yard has a 4 inch white plastic pipe vertical in the yard. Some
are even with the ground and not really visible because of the grass.
But others are up to 6 inches (not 3 feet) high, and look really ugly.
I think for many of the owners it is their first house, and they don't
have nerve enough to do anything. If I lived there, I'd figure they
cut the pipes without knowing where they woudl go or how high the dirt
would be, and I'd cut the pipe off as low as the lowest one in the
n'hood.

In your case I'd do what you're doing, ask what it is for, but if it
is for an air vent, I don't know why it has to be anywhere near as
high, or as big a diameter. Or why it would have to hook over, when
one could cut V's or U's in the end edge of the pipe and then attach a
cap a little bigger than the pipe, and it would vent through those. I
am not a plumber.

But I'd also ask the builder, or the builder's plumber.

I don't know why it should go higher than the traps in the house,
unless one was trying to avoid siphoning water through the septic from
the pipes in the house, which I don't think could ever happen anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:50:23 -0400, "GROUP MODERATOR"
wrote:

why?

Y is a crooked letter!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Apr 2007 17:51:52 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

On Apr 8, 3:07 pm, "car crash" wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

If it ain't broke....

Hold on Uncle Jed, I can git this!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would ask again what it is venting. I can sure be wrong--- just
ask my wife-- but I've not seen a septic tank with a vent other
than the roof top vents normal to the house. Is there a chance it
is something to do with a radon system? The candy cane is a great
illustration to use, and it sure is typical of some form of vent.
Speedy Jim could perhaps indicate whether or not a Studor type
vent would be adequate under the circumstances.

Does it lend itself to being buried in a decorative rock berm with
appropriate plantings?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"car crash" wrote in message
oups.com...
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that
sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to
the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground
easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't
have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get
rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that
large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:

I would ask again what it is venting. I can sure be wrong--- just
ask my wife-- but I've not seen a septic tank with a vent other
than the roof top vents normal to the house. Is there a chance it
is something to do with a radon system? The candy cane is a great
illustration to use, and it sure is typical of some form of vent.
Speedy Jim could perhaps indicate whether or not a Studor type
vent would be adequate under the circumstances.

Does it lend itself to being buried in a decorative rock berm with
appropriate plantings?

Yes! I like the decorative effect!

No, a mechanical vent would defeat the purpose in this case;
the vent allows air to circulate and, maybe more important,
to permit large flows of water (toilet flush/washing machine draining)
to push the air ahead of it without restriction.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

car crash wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

First off, you need to be absolutely certain if you have a septic
system or are connected to the municipality sewer line. IF its a
septic system, you better have some documentation showing the tank's
location and the extent of the drain field. Since you probably
didn't get any of that at closing time, you are most likely
connected to a sewer system. Call them and ask them what the pipe is
for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen
something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did
some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't
find anyone who knew about them.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:50:23 -0400, "GROUP MODERATOR"
wrote:

why?

Y is a crooked letter!

huh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Call them and ask them what the pipe is
for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen
something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did
some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't
find anyone who knew about them.

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will not
vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if that
would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet of
snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 8, 6:34 pm, "DanG" wrote:
I would ask again what it is venting. I can sure be wrong--- just
ask my wife-- but I've not seen a septic tank with a vent other
than the roof top vents normal to the house. Is there a chance it
is something to do with a radon system? The candy cane is a great
illustration to use, and it sure is typical of some form of vent.
Speedy Jim could perhaps indicate whether or not a Studor type
vent would be adequate under the circumstances.

Does it lend itself to being buried in a decorative rock berm with
appropriate plantings?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"car crash" wrote in message

oups.com...

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that
sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to
the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground
easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't
have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get
rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that
large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

I read the whole thing hoping someone would mention that. I have
never seen a septic sytem with a vent. And one in front of the house
makes no sense. Who in their right mind wants to walk around their
yard smelling crap. Yes, any vent to a tank will smell of crap 24/7.
It appears to be a vent for something but for a septic tank it ain't.
Mine runs through a dry well before it goes into the drain field.
Capped with a concrete cover but even from the few cracks that are
under the cover I can smell it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Apr 8, 4:27 pm, "GROUP MODERATOR" wrote:
"car crash" wrote in message

paint it green

And plant some evergreen shrubs around it.

(I just can't believe they'd vent sewer gas at a level where kids with
matches could have a "blast" at Holloween).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 02:18:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Call them and ask them what the pipe is
for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen
something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did
some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't
find anyone who knew about them.

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will not
vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if that
would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet of
snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

Why couldn't they just bury a pipe and run it back to the side of the
house and up 3 feet? Or the OP do it? It might cost a few bucks but
it is better than a white plastic candycane in the middle of the front
lawn. Unless you're a dam' white reindeer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 22:14:31 -0400, "GROUP MODERATOR"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:50:23 -0400, "GROUP MODERATOR"
wrote:

why?

Y is a crooked letter!

huh?

huh? hell, pay attention!

(PS) you don't moderate this group; nor. should your NYM imply that
you are a moderator.

I'm selling clues!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will
not vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if
that would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet
of snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

To chime in with Ed, I would make damn sure I knew what this thing was, and
what function it performed. If it is a vent, and you cap it off, the gas
will escape somewhere else, maybe in the house. That would be fun. Or a
raw sewage backup in the house. Six weeks of strange odors. Digging
through the snow, into frozen ground, redoing it back the way it was.

Call up your local municipality, or find someone who can give you the answer
to what it is. Opinions here are free and worth twice that. Someone in
your area can give you some real time info.

I have not seen one in my part of the country, but I am not so stupid as to
say that they are not necessary in yours. It could have to do with water
table levels, soil compaction, some special septic tank vent, percolation
rates, or many things that if you go changing, might come back to bite you
hard in a sensitive place.

Find out what it is. Then do whatever you think is appropriate. If it is
necessary and functional and has to stay, make it look like an antique pump
or some lawn ornament. If it is not necessary and functional, you won't be
capping something that's going to cause your house to back up with sewage
while you're away for the weekend.

Get the facts first, then act.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"car crash" wrote in message

paint it green

And plant some evergreen shrubs around it.

(I just can't believe they'd vent sewer gas at a level where kids with
matches could have a "blast" at Holloween).

They don't and it ain't a septic tank or sewer vent. All one needs to
do is bend over an sniff - no crap = not a sewer/septic vent.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message
Call them and ask them what the pipe is
for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen
something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did
some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't
find anyone who knew about them.

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will not
vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if that
would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet of
snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

Why couldn't they just bury a pipe and run it back to the side of the
house and up 3 feet? Or the OP do it? It might cost a few bucks but
it is better than a white plastic candycane in the middle of the front
lawn. Unless you're a dam' white reindeer.

For the third time in this thread.

IT AIN'T A SEPTIC TANK VENT. Septic tanks DO NOT HAVE VENTS (other
than the ones sticking out of the roof).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:11:55 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Call up your local municipality, or find someone who can give you the answer
to what it is. Opinions here are free and worth twice that. Someone in
your area can give you some real time info.

I have not seen one in my part of the country, but I am not so stupid as to
say that they are not necessary in yours. It could have to do with water
table levels, soil compaction, some special septic tank vent, percolation
rates, or many things that if you go changing, might come back to bite you
hard in a sensitive place.

I think I finally recall seeing a 2 or 3 of these over the years, and
they weren't in anyone's yard. So maybe it has nothing to do with his
house. I have the most vague recollection one being near long
distance gas lines, but I could be wrong or that could be a
coincidence.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

"Grandpa" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't say it was a septic tank vent. The OP says he knows it's not
a clean-out

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Apr 2007 13:07:34 -0700, "car crash" wrote:

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

Plant a garden statue over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Grandpa" wrote in message
Call them and ask them what the pipe is
for and why it is there, and what your options are. I've seen
something like this in the back yards of a housing tract that we did
some work in. They were connected to the sewer system, but I didn't
find anyone who knew about them.

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will not
vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if that
would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet of
snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

It appears he's in Canada. Any advice I have to give is typically
null and void above the 45th parallel (too cold for me). Still, his
best bet is to call the municipality for options.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

"GROUP MODERATOR" wrote:

Was I drunk of absent the day you were appointed? Or do you just have this
need to jump up and appoint yourself like a HOA Nazi?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote

IT AIN'T A SEPTIC TANK VENT. Septic tanks DO NOT HAVE VENTS (other
than the ones sticking out of the roof).

Harry K

Well, then what is it? Can you just pull it out? If so, it might be just a
left over Christmas design. If it's hooked to something underground, do you
think it's a good idea to just cut it and cap it without knowing what it
does?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:50:21 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

It appears he's in Canada. Any advice I have to give is typically
null and void above the 45th parallel (too cold for me). Still, his
best bet is to call the municipality for options.
--
Grandpa

He should have said that. I'm no chauvinist, but most posters here
are from the US and a lot of systems are different here for some
reason.

Size of pipe to the Septic Tank? Scott Townsend Home Repair 5 August 30th 06 04:21 PM
Septic tank lifetime Eigenvector Home Repair 3 May 24th 06 02:31 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM
Septic tank upgrade. SR UK diy 26 December 1st 05 10:38 AM
Septic tank replacement Ian Johnston UK diy 12 March 10th 05 10:39 AM