Ian Johnston

Default Septic tank replacement

Hi Folks,

I've been spending some fun time having a Good Hard Stare at my septic
tank. It's roughly 6' long by 2'6" wide by I-don't-know-how-deep
because it is so seriously choked up with sludge. I have the Big
Vacuum booked for Monday, but I have my doubts about its long term
viability - it's at least 100 years old, drystone built, and
crumbling.

So it seems sensible to think about replacement. According to a very
helpful building control chap at the local council (Dumfries and
Galloway) they wouldn't care at all if it was replaced with another
rectangular tank in the same place and of the same size - a more
modern design would arouse their interest, though.

I am not sure this is something I want to Do Myself, but in the hope
that there may be people here with relevant experience...

1) Is there any pressing need to go for a bottle tank, or do
rectangular ones work well enough in comparison that I can reasonably
avoid the extra hassle?

2) What are the rectangular alternatives? Would I need to have a block
one built, or a concrete one cast, in situ, or is it possible to get a
liner for the existing tank?

3) Any tips about the best people to ask to undertake this sort of
work?

Sorry to be a bit vague - it's been a lurking presence at the far end
of the garden for a bit, and I am just getting the hang of dong
something with it.

Alternatively, I have up to 50' of 6' wide by 2' deep former mill-lade
available - anyone here installed a domestic reed bed system?

Ian

Broadback

Ian Johnston wrote:
[...]

I found my supplier/installer in the yellow pages. It cost about £2500
five years ago, it was a flask type, built on very sloping ground the
soakaway was very deep, I'd guess 6feet at the deepest. It replaced the
concrete one and is much better, if only that the only signs are 2
manhole covers.

--
Please do not email me at
All emails to that address are automatically
Blair Malcolm

"Ian Johnston" wrote in message
[...]

There is nothing wrong with the old brick type tank. Once emptied you can
recement the brickwork. If you can't do it yourself a tradesman will do it
for a fraction of the cost of installing a balloon type.
If the bacteria are working correctly this type of tank needs emptying very
rarely. You must take care to avoid strong disinfectants etc.
Mine is over a 100 years old and hasn't been emptied in 15 years.
Blair

Rick

On 8 Mar 2005 13:33:15 GMT, "Ian Johnston"
wrote:

[...]

I DIYed my system, OK I had some help froma digger driver ...

First you need a "consent to discharge" from the Environment Agency.
How you dispose of the water from the tank sets if you need a simple
seperator or a package sewage treatment unit. I had a very challenging
site on a cliff above a river, the EA lady came out and had a look,
and then told me what to do to get a consent. it costs about 100
quid.

APCO do a packaged treatment unit, you can slot into an existing tank,
and you can discharge direct into a river, subject to EA consent.

IF you are in an area where this thing is common, groundwork
contractors, or plant hire bods will probably have done a few. In
North Wales look up C.T.Roberts in yellow pages.

I did mine in 3 days, the excavator was 15.50 inc driver an hour, and
it was my only cost beoynd materials, plus of cource the BCO, and EA,
a 100 quid each.

And you are supposed to pump them out every year.

The relevant section of buildingregs is readable, has lots of pictures
and stuff, and its easy to see all your options.

Rick
Pete

wrote:

[...]

Scrap it and buy a Klargester. I did, and have never regretted it. I
don't know how much land you have, but I dug a web of dissip[ation
pipes and fed the remainder through a reed bed. Fish, frogs and newts
live happily in the resulting very small pond, so I must be on the
right track.

Rick

wrote:

[...]

Why, those things are so expensive, and I have absolutly no where to
dig a soakaway, my garden is all up hill from my house, the only down
hill is a cliff, with a river at the bottom.

The kids love the idea that people in birkenhead drink our wee, when
they get the water back out the river ........

Rick

Pete

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:53:05 GMT, Rick wrote:

snip
Scrap it and buy a Klargester. I did, and have never regretted it. I
don't know how much land you have, but I dug a web of dissip[ation
pipes and fed the remainder through a reed bed. Fish, frogs and newts
live happily in the resulting very small pond, so I must be on the
right track.

Why, those things are so expensive, and I have absolutly no where to
dig a soakaway, my garden is all up hill from my house, the only down
hill is a cliff, with a river at the bottom.

The kids love the idea that people in birkenhead drink our wee, when
they get the water back out the river ........

Rick

Not expensive. I've never had to have mine emptied, and that's 100
quid a go where I live. Ten years now.....
Rick

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:08:17 +0000, Pete
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:53:05 GMT, Rick wrote:

snip
Scrap it and buy a Klargester. I did, and have never regretted it. I
don't know how much land you have, but I dug a web of dissip[ation
pipes and fed the remainder through a reed bed. Fish, frogs and newts
live happily in the resulting very small pond, so I must be on the
right track.

Why, those things are so expensive, and I have absolutly no where to
dig a soakaway, my garden is all up hill from my house, the only down
hill is a cliff, with a river at the bottom.

The kids love the idea that people in birkenhead drink our wee, when
they get the water back out the river ........

Rick

Not expensive. I've never had to have mine emptied, and that's 100
quid a go where I live. Ten years now.....

Sorry, this subject really anoyes me, saving a 100 quid a year so your
system leaks solids into the waterout flow, so your kids can fall into
your reed bed, when looking at the frogs ....... In South Africia a
certain fish is served regularly at dubious resturants, and they
"farm" it in the sewers.........

Is maintaining the system corectly it not a condition of the EA
consent to discharge ? I just checked mine - it is.

The EA website dicusses have several thousand septic tack systems fail
each year, the Klargester website dicusses atht ther system require
from 1-4 service visits per year, depending on model, and something
called "routine emptying", the EA website dicusses how the maximum
punishment for polution is a number of years in prison .......

The Klargester owners manual describes routine de-sludging as
essential, never in 10 years hardly sounds "routine".

Whats your address, let me report your system to the EA ........

Rick

Mike

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

Whilst I don't know the person with the Klargester, I think the EA would
find his, my own septic tank system, and probably everybody else on this
site with either, totally safe. Any responsible owner monitors their system
monthly as the penalty for overflowing is so high, not just in legal terms
but also in the cost of digging the whole system out and replacing it.

But in fact most systems simply don't generate anything but water out. The
solids break down so quickly that there is no chance of them reaching the
outflow pipes. If your system is not doing this then perhaps you are not
using it correctly, possibly by polluting it with non-recommended chemicals.
I bet 99% of the septic tank failures you mention are due to this.

Owain

Rick wrote:
Sorry, this subject really anoyes me, saving a 100 quid a year so your
system leaks solids into the waterout flow, so your kids can fall into
your reed bed, when looking at the frogs .......

If frogs live in it the outflow can't be that bad. It's only ****e after
all, not napalm.

Whats your address, let me report your system to the EA ........

OP's in Scotland, EA have no remit here.

Owain

Ian Johnston

Owain wrote in message et...

OP's in Scotland, EA have no remit here.

Indeed. It's SEPA up here, and I have a discharge certificate from
them which allows me to discharge my septic tank directly into the
river.

Ian
Mike

"Ian Johnston" wrote in message
om...
Owain wrote in message

et...

OP's in Scotland, EA have no remit here.

Indeed. It's SEPA up here, and I have a discharge certificate from
them which allows me to discharge my septic tank directly into the
river.

And in doing so probably makes the river LESS polluted :-)

Ian Johnston

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:33:15 UTC, "Ian Johnston"
wrote:

: I've been spending some fun time having a Good Hard Stare at my septic
: tank. It's roughly 6' long by 2'6" wide by I-don't-know-how-deep
: because it is so seriously choked up with sludge. I have the Big
: Vacuum booked for Monday...

Well, to my surprise the Big Vacuum from Scottish Water (who said they
couldn't do it for a month, so I booked a private contractor instead)
turned up this morning at 8.30. He managed to get about a foot of
nasty stuff off the top before his hose started choking on stones so
much that there was no point in going on. So I did it the hard way,
and got another eighteen inches or so down before I started running
out for spade reach and enthusiasm. That means there is about another
eighteen inches to go, but there is now vastly more room in the tank
than there has been.

It's a pretty damn simple system: just a dry stone walled rectangle,
no internal divisions and not even an outlet pipe - it relies on
seepage through the walls. I may stick in a proper outlet, but on the
if-it's-not-broke-don't-fix-it principle I am tempted to leave it to
go on working as it has the past hundred years.

However, I have followed a lead elsewhere here and had a chat with the
nice man from Crest Water - I'm hoping that something reed-beddy will
happen in the not-too-distant future ...

Ian

cheap water tank needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 23 March 10th 05 12:22 PM
septic tank replacement TonyK UK diy 41 February 11th 05 10:25 AM
Driving truck over septic tank???? joe Home Ownership 2 January 30th 05 10:58 PM
preparing a propane tank for reusal .. pix Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:54 PM
Septic Tank, should it be filled with water? Colbyt Home Repair 2 July 2nd 03 03:52 PM