Rick

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:43:39 +0000, Pete
wrote:

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:52:38 GMT, Rick wrote:

On 8 Mar 2005 13:33:15 GMT, "Ian Johnston"
wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've been spending some fun time having a Good Hard Stare at my septic
tank. It's roughly 6' long by 2'6" wide by I-don't-know-how-deep
because it is so seriously choked up with sludge. I have the Big
Vacuum booked for Monday, but I have my doubts about its long term
viability - it's at least 100 years old, drystone built, and
crumbling.

So it seems sensible to think about replacement. According to a very
helpful building control chap at the local council (Dumfries and
Galloway) they wouldn't care at all if it was replaced with another
rectangular tank in the same place and of the same size - a more
modern design would arouse their interest, though.

I am not sure this is something I want to Do Myself, but in the hope
that there may be people here with relevant experience...

1) Is there any pressing need to go for a bottle tank, or do
rectangular ones work well enough in comparison that I can reasonably
avoid the extra hassle?

2) What are the rectangular alternatives? Would I need to have a block
one built, or a concrete one cast, in situ, or is it possible to get a
liner for the existing tank?

3) Any tips about the best people to ask to undertake this sort of
work?

Sorry to be a bit vague - it's been a lurking presence at the far end
of the garden for a bit, and I am just getting the hang of dong
something with it.

Alternatively, I have up to 50' of 6' wide by 2' deep former mill-lade
available - anyone here installed a domestic reed bed system?

Ian

I DIYed my system, OK I had some help froma digger driver ...

First you need a "consent to discharge" from the Environment Agency.
How you dispose of the water from the tank sets if you need a simple
seperator or a package sewage treatment unit. I had a very challenging
site on a cliff above a river, the EA lady came out and had a look,
and then told me what to do to get a consent. it costs about 100
quid.

APCO do a packaged treatment unit, you can slot into an existing tank,
and you can discharge direct into a river, subject to EA consent.

IF you are in an area where this thing is common, groundwork
contractors, or plant hire bods will probably have done a few. In
North Wales look up C.T.Roberts in yellow pages.

I did mine in 3 days, the excavator was 15.50 inc driver an hour, and
it was my only cost beoynd materials, plus of cource the BCO, and EA,
a 100 quid each.

And you are supposed to pump them out every year.

The relevant section of buildingregs is readable, has lots of pictures
and stuff, and its easy to see all your options.

Rick

Scrap it and buy a Klargester. I did, and have never regretted it. I
don't know how much land you have, but I dug a web of dissip[ation
pipes and fed the remainder through a reed bed. Fish, frogs and newts
live happily in the resulting very small pond, so I must be on the
right track.

Why, those things are so expensive, and I have absolutly no where to
dig a soakaway, my garden is all up hill from my house, the only down
hill is a cliff, with a river at the bottom.

The kids love the idea that people in birkenhead drink our wee, when
they get the water back out the river ........

Rick