Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Pipe to Septic Tank

On Apr 8, 6:34 pm, "DanG" wrote:
I would ask again what it is venting. I can sure be wrong--- just
ask my wife-- but I've not seen a septic tank with a vent other
than the roof top vents normal to the house. Is there a chance it
is something to do with a radon system? The candy cane is a great
illustration to use, and it sure is typical of some form of vent.
Speedy Jim could perhaps indicate whether or not a Studor type
vent would be adequate under the circumstances.

Does it lend itself to being buried in a decorative rock berm with
appropriate plantings?

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"car crash" wrote in message

oups.com...

We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that
sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to
the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground
easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't
have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get
rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that
large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.- Hide quoted text -

I read the whole thing hoping someone would mention that. I have
never seen a septic sytem with a vent. And one in front of the house
makes no sense. Who in their right mind wants to walk around their
yard smelling crap. Yes, any vent to a tank will smell of crap 24/7.
It appears to be a vent for something but for a septic tank it ain't.
Mine runs through a dry well before it goes into the drain field.
Capped with a concrete cover but even from the few cracks that are
under the cover I can smell it.

Harry K