Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Pipe to Septic Tank

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

One thought just came to mind here. It may be that high because it will
not vent if snow covered. Not knowing where the OP lives I can't say if
that would be the case. If up north where it is common to have a few feet
of snow on the ground it may be raised to compensate.

To chime in with Ed, I would make damn sure I knew what this thing was, and
what function it performed. If it is a vent, and you cap it off, the gas
will escape somewhere else, maybe in the house. That would be fun. Or a
raw sewage backup in the house. Six weeks of strange odors. Digging
through the snow, into frozen ground, redoing it back the way it was.

Call up your local municipality, or find someone who can give you the answer
to what it is. Opinions here are free and worth twice that. Someone in
your area can give you some real time info.

I have not seen one in my part of the country, but I am not so stupid as to
say that they are not necessary in yours. It could have to do with water
table levels, soil compaction, some special septic tank vent, percolation
rates, or many things that if you go changing, might come back to bite you
hard in a sensitive place.

Find out what it is. Then do whatever you think is appropriate. If it is
necessary and functional and has to stay, make it look like an antique pump
or some lawn ornament. If it is not necessary and functional, you won't be
capping something that's going to cause your house to back up with sewage
while you're away for the weekend.

Get the facts first, then act.

Steve