Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Pipe to Septic Tank

I am in Canada with a septic tank, and there is no lawn vent. It uses the
standard plumbing vent that goes up through the roof. Systems are very
similar on both sides of the border although both sides of the border do
have some occasional oddities.

"mm" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:50:21 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

It appears he's in Canada. Any advice I have to give is typically
null and void above the 45th parallel (too cold for me). Still, his
best bet is to call the municipality for options.
--
Grandpa

He should have said that. I'm no chauvinist, but most posters here
are from the US and a lot of systems are different here for some
reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 12:24:19 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

I am in Canada with a septic tank, and there is no lawn vent. It uses the
standard plumbing vent that goes up through the roof. Systems are very
similar on both sides of the border although both sides of the border do
have some occasional oddities.

I was thinking of electrical systems and the whole breadth of home
repair. There are European posters too, and they are really in the
minority, sometimes with very different hardware, rules, and material
available.

When the country code was on the end of email addresses, their home
country might be noticed, but so many people now use yahoo and gmail
(like the OP in this thread) addresses, or hide their address, etc.
there is no clue for someone replying to ask more questions.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:50:21 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

It appears he's in Canada. Any advice I have to give is typically
null and void above the 45th parallel (too cold for me). Still, his
best bet is to call the municipality for options.
--
Grandpa

He should have said that. I'm no chauvinist, but most posters here
are from the US and a lot of systems are different here for some
reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-08, car crash wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3

As others have said, you need to find out for sure what it is, before
you go fiddling with it.

If by "new house", you mean a house that was newly constructed, ask the
builder. If by "new house" you just mean new to you, then ask the
sellers if they know what it is. If they don't, ask the house
inspector (you did have the house inspected, right?). He's probably
seen just about everything in the way of weird pipes, so might be able
to help.

Asking around the office, some people have seen things like you
describe--to let air into underground oil tanks. Does the heating
system use oil? Or perhaps there is an old buried tank?
Posted to alt.home.repair
NA NA is offline

On Apr 8, 4:07 pm, "car crash" wrote:
We recently bought a new house. Our big white ABS pipe that sticks
out of the ground at the front of our house is an air pipe to the
septic tank (I think). This pipe sticks up from the ground easily 3
feet. Most other properties in the neighbourhood either don't have
one or have a smaller one. Is there anything I can do to get rid of
that pipe?
Can I make it smaller ? I guess just cutting it in half with a
hacksaw would be the easiest thing to do.
Any other recommendation as to what I can do to get rid of that large
white pipe or reduce it in size?
Thank you.

When builder finished our new subdivision 6 years ago, everyone of us
who have a slopped backyard had a a 4" black pipe stick out of the
ground
for 2' to 3'. The plumbers did not know how the final grade would
look like
so they left cleanouts high enough so that they can be sure they
wouldn't
be buried at end. Some of us asked the builder to cut the pipes to
the
ground level. Those of neighbours who did not, still have those black
metal
pipes stick out of the ground 6 years later.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 9 Apr 2007 12:04:53 -0700, "NA" wrote:

When builder finished our new subdivision 6 years ago, everyone of us
who have a slopped backyard had a a 4" black pipe stick out of the
ground
for 2' to 3'. The plumbers did not know how the final grade would
look like
so they left cleanouts high enough so that they can be sure they
wouldn't
be buried at end. Some of us asked the builder to cut the pipes to
the
ground level. Those of neighbours who did not, still have those black
metal
pipes stick out of the ground 6 years later.

LOL.

In another 20 years, the new owners will think they are sacred totem
poles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Apr 2007 12:04:53 -0700, "NA" wrote:

pipes stick out of the ground 6 years later.

To this point, a pipe was not cut locally as it had cement pad with
the pipe being enclosed. After the pour and cure - pipe cut and
capped.

I agree this septic system did/does not have a vent! Further. I have
never seen a septic with a vent!

Wobble the cane. Will it pull UP? Does it simply hide a valve in the
ground for a new buyer to discover?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 09:07:32 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"GROUP MODERATOR" wrote:

Was I drunk of absent the day you were appointed? Or do you just have this
need to jump up and appoint yourself like a HOA Nazi?

Steve

Nope, Talking about a circa 60's coke machine...

You really had to mention those three letters; in CAP LOC, no less?

The bored member: here thinks, well never mind! Got a letter for a car
that did not exist. The bride called and they said it was a PC error.

More like an ID-10-T (write it down) error.

This GUY; posting as a moderator (stated or expressed cannot moderate
a turd pile) wants to ascend into a title.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

"GROUP MODERATOR" wrote:

Was I drunk of absent the day you were appointed? Or do you just have
this
need to jump up and appoint yourself like a HOA Nazi?

Steve

Nope, Talking about a circa 60's coke machine...

You really had to mention those three letters; in CAP LOC, no less?

The bored member: here thinks, well never mind! Got a letter for a car
that did not exist. The bride called and they said it was a PC error.

More like an ID-10-T (write it down) error.

This GUY; posting as a moderator (stated or expressed cannot moderate
a turd pile) wants to ascend into a title.

well it looks like english but makes no sense. sorry you don't like my nym,
but there is nothing you can do to stop me so...........good luck with
you're other endeavors

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GROUP MODERATOR" wrote

well it looks like english but makes no sense. sorry you don't like my
nym, but there is nothing you can do to stop me so...........good luck
with you're other endeavors

The first of which is to dispose of you. Good bye.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
This GUY; posting as a moderator (stated or expressed cannot moderate
a turd pile)

I bet you could tho.

Size of pipe to the Septic Tank? Scott Townsend Home Repair 5 August 30th 06 04:21 PM
Septic tank lifetime Eigenvector Home Repair 3 May 24th 06 02:31 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM
Septic tank upgrade. SR UK diy 26 December 1st 05 10:38 AM
Septic tank replacement Ian Johnston UK diy 12 March 10th 05 10:39 AM