Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another garage door opener question

I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener
remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm
trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the
head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to
accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage
doors. (not in the same location).

thank for any input.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:

I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener
remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm
trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the
head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to
accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage
doors. (not in the same location).

thank for any input.

I'm reasonably sure that the "learning" relates to the "rolling code"
used in openers nowadays. The remote transmits a "magic code number"
which changes to a new number in a predetermined pattern each time the
remote's button is pressed.

The head unit's receiver also increments the next code it will be
looking for each time it receives a valid code, but it has the ability
to accept a range of several codes "after" the last one it responded to.
That last feature lets you press the remote's button several times "out
of range" and still have it work when the receiver can hear it.

But if you press the remote too many times when it's out of range, you
use up the available span of codes the receiver will respond to and
that's when you have to "retrain" the receiver.

Capice?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

so where do you think the "change" is actually made? In the remote, or the
head unit? My son seems to think that when you push the "learn" button on
the head unit, it actually sends out a signal and something in the remote is
changed.

--
Steve Barker

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker Garage wrote:

so where do you think the "change" is actually made? In the remote, or the
head unit? My son seems to think that when you push the "learn" button on
the head unit, it actually sends out a signal and something in the remote is
changed.

No, the "changes" take place in the head unit, which typically can
accept up to four different remotes.

It would be wasteful to have to include a "receive function" in the
remote or a "transmit function" in the head.

There's a lot of info on how these things are done in this TI document:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slws011d/slws011d.pdf

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, thanks so much. This looks very helpful.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Steve Barker Garage wrote:

so where do you think the "change" is actually made? In the remote, or
the
head unit? My son seems to think that when you push the "learn" button
on
the head unit, it actually sends out a signal and something in the remote
is
changed.

No, the "changes" take place in the head unit, which typically can accept
up to four different remotes.

It would be wasteful to have to include a "receive function" in the remote
or a "transmit function" in the head.

There's a lot of info on how these things are done in this TI document:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/slws011d/slws011d.pdf

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 6:59 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener
remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm
trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the
head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to
accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage
doors. (not in the same location).

thank for any input.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

Hi,

I have a similar issue. I have Chamberlain garage door openers, and my
Lexus ES300 has
button built in that are meant to be able to operate the door once it
has learned the codes.
I have never been able to get the car to learn the codes. So we just
drive around with the
original remote. If anyone knows how to fix this I would love to know.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" writes:
I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener
remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm
trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the
head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to
accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage
doors. (not in the same location).

With any GDO system I've seen, the remotes transmit only and the
receiver at the house receives only. Initially, the receiver doesn't
know which transmitters it should obey and which ones on the same
frequency it should ignore. So there's some method of making the
receiver "learn" the codes transmitted by exactly the set of remotes you
want to work.

Your car might be a special case, in that it may support a bunch of
different garage door manufacturers, with the ability to "learn" the
code structure from one of the dedicated remotes for that door.
Learning remotes can both receive and transmit.

What you want to do might be made to work if both of the garage doors
can actually be operated from the same dedicated remote. That would
work if they're both from the same manufacturer and if the remote
transmits the same code every time. Both door receivers need to be
trained for the same transmitter. On the other hand, if the transmitter
changes the code it transmits every button push, this isn't going to
work.

Dave