Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Another garage door opener question

Steve Barker wrote:

I'm trying to understand just what happens when you "learn" the opener
remotes. I also have a three button built in remote in my vehicle. I'm
trying to figure out (without experimenting) if the remote "learns" from the
head unit, or does the head unit "learn" the remote. What I'm trying to
accomplish (if possible) is to "learn" the same button to two or more garage
doors. (not in the same location).

thank for any input.

I'm reasonably sure that the "learning" relates to the "rolling code"
used in openers nowadays. The remote transmits a "magic code number"
which changes to a new number in a predetermined pattern each time the
remote's button is pressed.

The head unit's receiver also increments the next code it will be
looking for each time it receives a valid code, but it has the ability
to accept a range of several codes "after" the last one it responded to.
That last feature lets you press the remote's button several times "out
of range" and still have it work when the receiver can hear it.

But if you press the remote too many times when it's out of range, you
use up the available span of codes the receiver will respond to and
that's when you have to "retrain" the receiver.

Capice?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia