Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cement Floor Paint Question.

Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start, then
use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help from
someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimi wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I
plan on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern
(black and white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking
for anyone that has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very
high gloss , shiney finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy
cement paint to start, then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in
advance from help from someone that has experienced doing
this. Jim

I think I might try some of the rubber tile like products.

In any case if you want to paint it I suggest three things:

1. Follow, in detail, the prep instructions that come with the finish
materials.

2. Buy only the best finish materials, a true two part epoxy. It is not
that much more expensive.

3. Follow, in detail, the prep instructions that come with the finish
materials.

Using cheap materials or materials not specifically intended for a
garage is a waste of time and will make any correction to the mess they will
make very difficult.

Did I mention the prep work. No skimping here. If it says don't use it
on a new surface for 6 months, don't cheat by trying it in five months, if
it says rinse it three time, rinse it four.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote:

I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start, then
use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help from
someone that has experienced doing this.

Never use paint on a garage floor. Doesn't matter what they call it, it will
lift off the first time you drive warm tires on it.

Go to a real paint store - not a consumer storefront or one of the big box
stores and get a two part epoxy industrial coating. I've used Benjamin Moore,
but there are others as good. Comes in a half dozen premix colors and they may
be able to tint to a custom color.

I can't recall the last one I used, but it may have been the CM36/CM37:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...oat&groupid=32

Over 13 years in one high traffic garage and the gloss is just starting to wear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I

plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,

then
use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help from
someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

Check with your local floor covering company. They used to make sheet vinyl
with black and white checkerboard. I saw this once at a car dealership and
it looked real nice. Depending on how you do things you could also roll
this up if you wanted to do some major work like changing out an engine or
something.

Another option would be commercial tile, the 1 foot squares. To get a true
black and white you would need the solid vinyl but that is awfully soft if
you could stand the almost black and almost white, the vinyl comp tiles are
cheap and easy to maintain with a little wax and a buffing.

As Mr. Meehan mentioned the rubber is an option, but a very pricey option.

The paint IMO would be a pain. Too much masking and to easy to get a lousy
looking job.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with others about not painting the floor. If you insist
on paint, use epoxy. Make sure to wait until the concrete is at
least 28 days old, and test for moisture issues. This will hold
true for anything you put on the floor!!!!

My son did their 2 car garage with 12x12 VCT. Each tile was
subdivided into alternating black and white checkerboard so it
looks like 6x6 checkers. Great looking floor and easy to clean.
It can be glossed up to any level, but anything glossy will be
slippery when wet.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated.
What I plan on doing to the floor is painting it in a
checkerboard pattern (black and white) and parking a collector
vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that has done this sort
of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney finish..
I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,
then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance
from help from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,
then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help
from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

I live in SW Florida and many of the garage floors here are painted,
including mine. Mine was painted 5 years ago and has held up nicely. It
could well be that some of the naysayers (about painting the floor) live
where it does not work well or the material was cheap or the preparation was
inadequate or the temperature was wrong or .....

A good quality paint (Sherwin Williams, e.g.) is strongly recommended ...
and you must follow the instructions! Preparation and temperature are very,
very important. Also, a damp floor will do you in every time.

Epoxy is OK, but I have yet to see what the big deal is, as compared to
high-quality enamel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,
then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help
from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

If you are doing this from scratch, check with your concrete man. They can
finish concrete to a very very very shiny finish, and they can also add
colorant or make it a lot of colors and veins so that smudges, spills, and
booboos are not as noticeable. I have seen some shiny floors in big stores,
and yes, it comes from a sealer that is applied, but that concrete is very
very very smooth from the get go.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,
then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help
from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

If you want to paint the floor with epoxy, make SURE your concrete guy does
not use the fiberglass-reinforced concrete for the floor.
I can tell you from experience that the epoxy will solidify the glass fibers
pretty much like needles and you'll have a rougher floor that will shred a
mop like a cheese grater.
On the positive side, the floor will be non-slip without adding the grip
additives to the paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I
plan on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern
(black and white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for
anyone that has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high
gloss , shiney finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement
paint to start, then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in
advance from help from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

If you want to paint the floor with epoxy, make SURE your concrete guy
does not use the fiberglass-reinforced concrete for the floor.
I can tell you from experience that the epoxy will solidify the glass
fibers pretty much like needles and you'll have a rougher floor that will
shred a mop like a cheese grater.

Couldn't you just hit it with a floor sander and then put another coat for
finish?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:27:43 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start, then
use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help from
someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

I don't think you'll get any regular paint to stick over the epoxy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

I don't think you'll get any regular paint to stick over the epoxy.

Certainly not until the gloss is off from wear or being sanded. But it isn't
necessary - epoxy is available in most colors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"J.A. Michel" wrote in message

"Jimi" wrote in message
[...]

I suppose a guy could. I thought about it. However, the as-painted cost
well over $300.00. So instead of grinding it off, I thought I'd live with
it for a few years.