Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default Cement Floor Paint Question.

"Jimi" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm about to build a double wide garage that will be heated. What I plan
on doing to the floor is painting it in a checkerboard pattern (black and
white) and parking a collector vehicle on it. I am looking for anyone that
has done this sort of thing. I am looking for a very high gloss , shiney
finish.. I'm wondering if I should use an epoxy cement paint to start,
then use any durable paint to go over it? Thanks in advance from help
from someone that has experienced doing this. Jim

I live in SW Florida and many of the garage floors here are painted,
including mine. Mine was painted 5 years ago and has held up nicely. It
could well be that some of the naysayers (about painting the floor) live
where it does not work well or the material was cheap or the preparation was
inadequate or the temperature was wrong or .....

A good quality paint (Sherwin Williams, e.g.) is strongly recommended ...
and you must follow the instructions! Preparation and temperature are very,
very important. Also, a damp floor will do you in every time.

Epoxy is OK, but I have yet to see what the big deal is, as compared to
high-quality enamel.