Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default What would YOU do with this thing?

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would a DVD player fit inside it?

--
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

"bob" wrote in message
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism
raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that
could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
bob entered:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in
next to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the
idea makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd
like to convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank
mechanism raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as
something that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?
Thanks,

Bob

Disappearing liquor cabinet?

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

It actually would, but the TV is on the other side of the fireplace, so
wiring would be a challenge, as would aiming the remote...

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

"bob" wrote in message
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism
raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something
that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in
next to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the
idea makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd
like to convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank
mechanism raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as
something that could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?
Thanks,

Bob

Disappearing liquor cabinet?

That occurred to me too, but it's not deep enough to have the bottles
standing up. If it were, I'd have motorized the rack, like something out of
Get Smart or James Bond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next to
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny feature?

Thanks,

Bob

I can imagine someone using charcoal inside. Stupid. It would make a
nice place for indoor plants; sitting on the grill. Second choice is a
conversation piece.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house
[...]

Funny, my very first thought was to get some of those plastic steaks they
use for food displays, and just putting them on the grill for fun.
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house
was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with charcoal,
because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism
raises
and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that could
have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

Thanks,

Bob

I can imagine someone using charcoal inside. Stupid. It would make a
nice place for indoor plants; sitting on the grill. Second choice is a
conversation piece.

Well, Google and Ebay had a few similar items, and apparently charcoal was
an option. Is there maybe a (perhaps now plugged or removed) vent pipe,
feeding the gases into the flue stack? Sort of an indoor hibachi? That was
the era when Grilling Meat took off, and not everyone had space or suitable
weather for doing it out back.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Finding the keyboard operational
bob entered:

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Now I've know exactly what you have there. The conversation went like this:
"Frank, you have to do some thing about the hole where the bookcase was next
to the fireplace before we sell the house."
:Relax Maude. I'm gonna stick that old grill that your brother gave us in
there. It'll give the next SOB something to scratch his head over."
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

It looks like a natural place to install one of these:

http://www.duke.edu/~jwc13/beerlauncher.html

here is the video:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/445498..._refrigerator/

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"bob" wrote in message
I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:12:11 -0400, "bob" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house
[...]

Fake char broiled onions, peppers and a fake glass of sweet tea.

Conversation piece.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charcoal puts out fatal ammounts of carbon monoxide. How about
fill it with dirt, and plant some spider plants?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"bob" wrote in message

: I can imagine someone using charcoal inside. Stupid. It would
make a
: nice place for indoor plants; sitting on the grill. Second
choice is a
: conversation piece.
:
:
: --
: Oren
:
: "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some
good ideas!"
:
:
: Funny, my very first thought was to get some of those plastic
steaks they
: use for food displays, and just putting them on the grill for
fun.
: --
: Bob
:
: Travel and Astronomy Photos
: http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:25:42 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

I can imagine someone using charcoal inside. Stupid. It would make a
nice place for indoor plants; sitting on the grill. Second choice is a
conversation piece.

Well, Google and Ebay had a few similar items, and apparently charcoal was
an option. Is there maybe a (perhaps now plugged or removed) vent pipe,
feeding the gases into the flue stack? Sort of an indoor hibachi? That was
the era when Grilling Meat took off, and not everyone had space or suitable
weather for doing it out back.

Seems smoke is on the bricks... maybe a vent happens to be above. I
don't pick charcoal for an indoor option.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote in message
Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
to the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house was never equipped with gas. I suspect someone used it with
charcoal, because there's still a lot of gunk inside.
I have no intention of grilling steaks in the livingroom, though the idea
makes me chuckle.

I don't want to remove it, because it looks kind of cool. So, I'd like to
convert it into something, but can't decide what. The crank mechanism
raises and lowers the internal rack, and that strikes me as something that
could have some potental.

Anyone have any novel ideas for a second incarnation of this funny
feature?

Is it vented? If so, I'd restore it and use it. In the winter I grill
steaks in the woodstove in my family room.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:23:47 -0400, "bob" wrote:

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Of course it is vented. It's right next to the fireplace.

People have cooked in fireplaces for a long time. That's where all of
the cooking went on for 100's of years.

I don't know for sure if charcoal makes enough heat to cause a good
draft but I think it would. The dirty back wall indicates that the
smoke was going back (and up.) You can tell by holding a lit match
above the charcoal fire and the flame will indicate the air current.
Or a lit stick of incense and watch the smoke current.

You coudl connect some gas too if you wanted to.

If you don't use it, give it to someone who will. Or sell it for 5
or 10 dollars. People appreciate things more when they pay for them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rip it out and put in book shelf.

i agree.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:23:47 -0400, "bob" wrote:

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Of course it is vented. It's right next to the fireplace.

People have cooked in fireplaces for a long time. That's where all of
the cooking went on for 100's of years.

I don't know for sure if charcoal makes enough heat to cause a good
draft but I think it would. The dirty back wall indicates that the
smoke was going back (and up.) You can tell by holding a lit match
above the charcoal fire and the flame will indicate the air current.
Or a lit stick of incense and watch the smoke current.

You coudl connect some gas too if you wanted to.

If you don't use it, give it to someone who will. Or sell it for 5
or 10 dollars. People appreciate things more when they pay for them.

Yup, it's vented. There's a chimney that goes up about 5 feet, and fan that
vents the exhaust over into the main fireplace chimney.

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob" wrote:

I've added a wide shot for a little more context.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

Considering it's right next to the fireplace I'd recommend against
using it as a bar/liquor cabinet (booze don't likey da heat!) or as a
pantry or bookcase, either, unless you stick a thick piece of foam
insulation on that brick between that space and the fireplace. Also,
it looks like it doesn't get much in the way of direct or indirect
sunlight, so unless you want to stick a grow light in there (and make
the neighbors think you're growing something illegal, knowhatimean?)
I'd say it's not good for plants.

Although you could take out the grill, put a base kitchen cabinet in
there for storage and make the top half a terrarium or aquarium. That
could be nice.

I say plug up the flue, go to the local flea markets and yard sales
and see if you can pick up a dime store Indian plastic Elvis or some
other humanoid statue for that space - I think it would make a far
better conversation piece than a decrepit semi-unused grill.

But that's just my opinion...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:49:33 -0400, mm
wrote:

You coudl connect some gas too if you wanted to.

To add, I'll bet there is a fairly easy way to connect the gas.

And second, since it's there, I'd try cooking on it once or twice
before I got rid of it. You don't want to be sitting around some time
saying, I wish we'd tried that grill. Then we'd have some idea of
whether we'd like to get this one. Maybe we would have like the other
one as it is.

I've found that the things I find fall into two categories, and I
often don't know until I use them which category they will be in:
Things I don't like and give or throw away; and
things I do like and keep and usually buy another one when I use it up
or it breaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 5:58 am, "longshot" wrote:
Rip it out and put in book shelf.

i agree.

Bingo. Books by the fireplace, a natural.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:25:42 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:05:50 -0400, "bob" wrote:

Our 1950s house came with this funky Majestic indoor grill, built in next
the fireplace.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bomobob/MajesticGrill

From what little I've been able to find, it's a gas grill, though the
house
[...]

Convert it to run off hydrogen gas.

New thing Axe Woodworking 3 January 11th 07 02:32 PM
Same thing brush7734 Metalworking 0 November 24th 05 12:03 PM
what is this thing granpaw Metalworking 2 July 28th 05 12:05 AM
is there such a thing? Jim M Home Repair 5 January 31st 05 12:32 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM