Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Moen bathroom faucet mystery

OK, I have Moen single lever bathroom sink faucets, installed by some
previous owner; 1987, I would guess from the last time the house had
serious work done. One drools unless I get it at just the right angle.
I was going to just change the cartridge like I've done with a zillion
kitchen faucets, but I can't find a setscrew or such to get the handle
off. I looked at the Moen homepage, and what I have looks like the
Legend model http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/pr...ath_legend.jpg
but when I click on it, they don't seem to have any sink faucets that
match the photo, only shower faucets, so I can't get a model number to
use to search for an instruction sheet on their site. Grr. Anybody
know either how to get the handle loose, or what a reasonable guess at
the model number might be?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"z" wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, I have Moen single lever bathroom sink faucets, installed by some
previous owner; 1987, I would guess from the last time the house had
serious work done. One drools unless I get it at just the right angle.
I was going to just change the cartridge like I've done with a zillion
kitchen faucets, but I can't find a setscrew or such to get the handle
off. I looked at the Moen homepage, and what I have looks like the
Legend model
http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/pr...ath_legend.jpg
but when I click on it, they don't seem to have any sink faucets that
match the photo, only shower faucets, so I can't get a model number to
use to search for an instruction sheet on their site. Grr. Anybody
know either how to get the handle loose, or what a reasonable guess at
the model number might be?

Their customer support is excellent. Call them, tell them what you believe
to be the age of the faucet, and see if they can point you in the right
direction. Is there any sort of little emblem on the faucet? If so, my guess
is that the set screw would be under that emblem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would also suggest that it being a 20 year old faucet, that it might
be a good idea to go ahead and replace it. Takes about 3/4 hour, max.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"professorpaul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would also suggest that it being a 20 year old faucet, that it might
be a good idea to go ahead and replace it. Takes about 3/4 hour, max.

Why, if all it needs is a cartridge?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Moen's are mostly older than that and as far as I can tell, all take the
same cartridge. New OEM is about $20 but there are other replacements for a
few dollars less. It will have directions on removing old - usually a screw
in the cap, a retaining ring to pull out, and cartridge removal where a
disposable tool is used to twist in loose. I just changed one last month in
our bathtub and think it was original - house 30 years old.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"professorpaul" writes:
I would also suggest that it being a 20 year old faucet, that it might
be a good idea to go ahead and replace it. Takes about 3/4 hour, max.

When we moved into our 18-year-old house, the Moen faucet in the kitchen
dripped. We replaced the cartridge and the spout O-rings and it's as
good as new.

Replacing the cartridge is a lot easier than replacing the whole faucet,
and should solve the leak problem. If you like the faucet otherwise,
hang onto it!

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
OK, I have Moen single lever bathroom sink faucets, installed by some
previous owner; 1987, I would guess from the last time the house had
serious work done. One drools unless I get it at just the right angle.
I was going to just change the cartridge like I've done with a zillion
kitchen faucets, but I can't find a setscrew or such to get the handle
off. I looked at the Moen homepage, and what I have looks like the
Legend model http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/pr...ath_legend.jpg
but when I click on it, they don't seem to have any sink faucets that
match the photo, only shower faucets, so I can't get a model number to
use to search for an instruction sheet on their site. Grr. Anybody
know either how to get the handle loose, or what a reasonable guess at
the model number might be?

setscrew in back part of handle or call MOEN.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Mar 7, 4:39 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Their customer support is excellent. Call them, tell them what you believe
to be the age of the faucet, and see if they can point you in the right
direction. Is there any sort of little emblem on the faucet? If so, my guess
is that the set screw would be under that emblem.

Yeah, it was under the emblem, thanks for the encouragement. I have
been very reluctant to pop off emblems looking for setscrews, mounting
screws, etc. since my Unfortunate Incident.

Have you ever taken apart this Moen faucet... Joe Home Repair 3 April 3rd 06 03:22 PM
Moen Kitchen Faucet Ken Home Repair 10 August 2nd 05 02:24 PM
Need help fixing a Moen kitchen faucet toller Home Repair 7 September 11th 04 12:47 AM
More MOEN Kitchen Faucet Woes Dr Jack White Home Repair 0 March 13th 04 12:53 PM
Moen Faucet Repair Sundog Home Repair 2 November 4th 03 04:30 AM