Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default flooding in basement - need help fast!

the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "Joe" wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Impossible to answer without knowing anything about the pump beyond "it's a
small pump."

Your best bet is to call the manufacturer and ask them.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 9:02 am, "Joe" wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Run the pump for as long as necessary even if you kill it. Pumps can
be replaced and are cheap compared to water damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Just run it until it breaks, or until the smoke starts leaking out,
whichever comes first.

Pumping water without much pressure isn't much work and what these
pumps are designed to do. Repeatedly starting and stopping is harder
on a motor.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

It is a good idea to have a spare ready to go in when you have a serious
problem like this. (In fact, having a battery powered back up is a darn
good idea also; but that's another thread.)

At my old house my pump would run nonstop for days at a time, and it lasted
years. Now that was a submersible; I understand they last longer because
the water cools the motor.

At my new house the pump has never run. All things considered, that is
better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Just let it run. If it is a decent pump, it can go for many hours, maybe
days. We run pumps here for 24 x 5 for years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Just run it until it breaks, or until the smoke starts leaking out,
whichever comes first.

Pumping water without much pressure isn't much work and what these
pumps are designed to do. Repeatedly starting and stopping is harder
on a motor.
-----

- gpsman

thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

[...]

- Do NOT buy a cheap wet-dry vac! Just don't. And DO get a big one, no
matter how much you think otherwise. Trust me.

- DO read the instructions before using the vac to pick up water.

- After the vac tank fills with water, you have to drain it somewhere. If
the sump pump's hole is full of water, where ya gonna go with the shop vac?
Probably upstairs & outside, which means you and a helper will be lifting a
lot of sloshy weight, with your fingers under an edge that the Chinese
manufacturer didn't smooth out very well. Pick up some cheap garden gloves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Just let it run. If it is a decent pump, it can go for many hours, maybe
days. We run pumps here for 24 x 5 for years.

24 hours a day? Do you live in a bayou?

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

Did it bring dirt in? When I had 5' of water everything was covered with
mud. I found the only thing that removed it was waiting until the water
level receded, and then hosing it all down and squeeging it into the sump..

Obviously you will want a dehumidifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

Did it bring dirt in? When I had 5' of water everything was covered with
mud. I found the only thing that removed it was waiting until the water
level receded, and then hosing it all down and squeeging it into the
sump..

Obviously you will want a dehumidifier.

.....and maybe a good floor fan, to blast some air circulation into corners
and behind things he can't move. Long extension cords, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

[...]

Duh. How could I forget booze? You're entitled to drink heavily today. And,
if there are any power tools you've wanted, but couldn't justify them to the
Mrs., this is a perfect time to start thinking like a creative advertising
exec.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

no dirt except what was on the basement floor. The water that leaks
into my house is ground water so it's extremely clear. I don't think
there would have been any problem if it wasn't for the fact that the
previous owner joined two pieces of pvc with a rubber connector and
metal clamps then drywalled over it. I wonder if I'm going to have to
take out all of the drywall along the pipe to make sure he didn't use
any more.

Toller wrote:
thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

Did it bring dirt in? When I had 5' of water everything was covered with
mud. I found the only thing that removed it was waiting until the water
level receded, and then hosing it all down and squeeging it into the sump..

Obviously you will want a dehumidifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Also, consider purchasing a good capacity dehumidifier, and if your basement
gets cool get one that operates in low temperature not just your basic one.
By capacity I'm not referring to the size of the water collection hopper,
but the ability to remove water from the air. In fact, if you get one that
will allow hose discharge and bypass the tray just get the drain hose and
let it run into your sump. That way you can set it and forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Exactly! Perfectly put.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

There should be prisons for previous owners who do things like that. A
friend of mine just had a new furnace installed. The installer had a WTF?
moment when things weren't working right. He found that the previous owner
(or an installer) had stuffed the cold air returns with pink fiberglass
batts.

Prison for these people, I say. But first, a mild beating, a la Tony
Soprano.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jackson" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Everybody needs a $400 pair of waders from the Orvis catalog at a time like
this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You didn't say whether the basement was finished or not. Is floor
surface concrete, tile, carpet?. Do wall coverings (if any) extend down
into the standing water? If it's just an unfinished basement, a wet-vac
will do fine. A large fan will help a lot. What's the weather like
outside? Consider opening the basement windows if the air outside is
dry, (low humidity) even if it is cold.

Joe wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

I can trump that. My previous owner put 3 20a circuits on a 50a breaker,
and both hots of a multiwire circuit on the same leg.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Joe wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

It's finished. No carpeting. I just recently bought the house and
figured I'd see how it functioned in all four seasons before I bought
a carpet. It was my one note of solace going through my mind this
morning. It's drywalled but there is about5 inches of molding all
around the walls so the water never made it above it. I assume the
drywall behind it is damaged but it doesn't show yet. Most of the
standing water is gone now there are just pockets left that I'm
sweeping toward the pump. It's about 43 degrees outside today and the
rain finally stopped. I'll keep the cellar door open and get some fans
going. Thanks to all for the help and moral support - my first stop
will be Home Depot - second will be the liquor store! Happy hour
starts at noon today!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

Beatings, I tell you. Behind a dumpster. Nothing crippling, just enough to
produce strange skin discolorations and a small limp for a few weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, Joe says...

Joe wrote:
[...]

BTDT and Soooo have the T-shirt.

The drywall behind the moulding won't necessarily have damaged. Wait and see.
I cleaned up and re-stained moulding after a big problem that I got an interior
drain system to fix. Ten years have gone by no issue with the moulding. BTW -
that may be the reason for a whole five inches of moulding...

Do get a dehumidifier - I used it and a big fan when I had problems.

You're doing all you can do. Join the club. Fix the pump connections if the
pump is working well and fast; think about what backup system you may want (I
have a generator and transfer switches) maybe wait another year, go ahead and
finish (I did get carpet those ten years ago - still is great).

You're right - the immediate thing for your ailment now that you've gotten rid
of the water is putting your feet up and a beer or two.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

- Do NOT buy a cheap wet-dry vac! Just don't. And DO get a big one, no
matter how much you think otherwise. Trust me.

- DO read the instructions before using the vac to pick up water.

- After the vac tank fills with water, you have to drain it somewhere. If
the sump pump's hole is full of water, where ya gonna go with the shop vac?
Probably upstairs & outside, which means you and a helper will be lifting a
lot of sloshy weight, with your fingers under an edge that the Chinese
manufacturer didn't smooth out very well. Pick up some cheap garden gloves.

Or just fill it half-way. Or, if there is a window in basement,put the
vac outside and suck the water up from outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 15:45:27 +0000, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

[...]

If he gets a big one its gonna be hell lugging it up the stairs. No point
in getting a big one if he cant lift it when its full of water right?

No point in firing up the shop vac until the sump has sucked the water
down I think. So the sump pit is a good place to dump the water.

My basement flooded like so last month. I used my shop vac but I had to
get a nice attachment to suck the water out of the carpet. I actually did
not drain it into the sump pit as my water gets dirty and the sump already
was in need of a cleaning, so I took it to the basement toilet...

Do indeed get a dehumidifier. I borrowed one from my aunt and ran it for
2-3 days. It got tons of water out of the air. At the very least it will
tell you when your basement is returning to safe levels of humidity.

And of course get your self a nice fan to keep the air circulating. I
eventually had mine at the bottom of the basement steps blowing the air
upstairs. you can blow it out a window or whatever you like.

The water should serve to keep the sump pump cool. A sump works much
harder when it runs on a dry pit. but once the water is drained do not be
surprised to see water steaming off the case of the sump...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 07:52:49 -0800, Joe wrote:

no dirt except what was on the basement floor. The water that leaks into
my house is ground water so it's extremely clear. I don't think there
would have been any problem if it wasn't for the fact that the previous
owner joined two pieces of pvc with a rubber connector and metal clamps
then drywalled over it. I wonder if I'm going to have to take out all of
the drywall along the pipe to make sure he didn't use any more.

Take some photos for the family scrapbook... I would open the wall now
while you are already in the working and cleanup mode. That rubber
joining two pvc pipes is usually what you get at the check valve. You do
have a check valve still? Maybe one person put the connection on, and
some other person drywalled it in now knowing what he was doing/what it
was.

For me my water is basically clean, but there is sticky red dirt that
comes. Over the course of 1 year the pipe will become filled with red
mud. So I put a cleanout on it. And every 6 months I snake the pipe.
Sucks by my pump runs every 3 minutes. I also have to disassemble the
pump and clean it because the pump volume decreases as it gets all coated
with mud.

I was at a home my mother bought and the water to the refridgerator was
dripping. I kept looking behind the wall in the next room, and back in
teh kitchen and scratching my head for like 30m as to where the shutoff
valve could be. At the end as the saying goes, when all other
posibilities are exhausted, the answer is no matter how much you hate it,
the possibility left. Took a hammer to the wall and found one of those
elchepo piercing water valves...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 2 Mar 2007 07:02:33 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

P&M

First off, I have had loads of floods for a variety of reasons, never
as deep as yours, but mostly what I lose in floods are the boxes I
keep things in. Most things dry off fine. and every tool that has
ever gotten wet was fine in the long run. More at the end.

Yes, you'll need a wet-dry vac. I have a 5 gallon one that I have
used several times. I dump the water in the utility sink next to the
washing machine. I have a strainer to keep things other than water
from going down, and I may have to reach in the water to clean out the
strainer. The vac turns off automatically when it is full. If it
was much bigger than 5 gallons, I wouldn't be able to lift it up
without spilling everything.

I decided I wanted to be able to vacuum out the flue of my oil furnace
and wanted to use "fine dust" filters, or something like that, to be
able to vacuum soot without -- I'm not sure which would happen with a
regular filter (which is good enough for other dry things) -- ruining
the vacuum or blowing soot into the air from the vacuum exhaust. So I
needed one in the Shop-Vac brand where the hose comes out the side of
the bottom part. It's in storage now but iirc it is 8 gallons. It
was the minimum size in gallonws that would take the fine dust
filters. If you don't plan to vacuum your oil or coal flue, or
fireplace**, there is no special reason to get one like this.

It turns out, Shop-Vac sells many different models with the same
number of gallons and same horsepower, via different outlets. I went
to Lowes, Walmart, Sears, and Pep-Boys, (and HD but they sell a
different brand) and I didn't see the exact same model twice. I'm not
just talking about the color (Walmart and Lowes iirc have their own
colors but they are plainly or explicitly ShopVacs) but combinations
of features.

My 5 gallon one doesnt' have a real handle, but other 5 gallon ones
do. (Mine has two depressions on each side of the top, and when I've
carried it by the hose, every once in a while the bottom comes apart
from the top, very bad when full of dirt, but usually happens when it
is empty. Still bad) So I would look for a built in, one handed
handle.

Even the 2.5 horsepower motor seemed like plenty, but the new one had
a much bigger one I actually ended up buying the new shop-vac at
pepboys because it had the biggerst motor and was just 10 dollars more
than the same size with fewer features. Now that one is in the storage
locker until the next time I do the furnace, and I'm still using the 5
gallon 2.5 HP one for the last flood (left the bathtub running.

My new one came with a nice tool for vacuuming wet floors, with a
rubber sqeegee built in, but I accidentally lost it, so I continue to
use just the plastic ipe and no nozzle. It works fine frankly, even
vacuuming the water out of the cement pores. I had a plastic office
size wastebasket that filled with water from the ceiling drip, and it
vacuumed out in 8 to 12 seconds. What slows one down is when he is
near the end and he has to hunt for water and wait uuntil it flows
back to where he has already vaccuumed

Shop-Vac is made in the USA, Penssylvania is their hq, and they were
very nice to deal with. I wanted to get two simple legs (without the
tool rack on them) and they sent them for free (maybe she assumed they
were missing, but I didn't even say it was a new vacuum) and they
arrived in 3 or 4 days.

Ridgid is sold by Home Depot and is very similar, but I'm happy with
ShopVac.

**The fireplace can be sprayed with quite a bit of water mist and then
shoveled out. The water keeps down the ash dust. Not sure which is
better technique.

Tools got wet wehn there was a flood from the kitchen sink above. The
box that a new reciprocating saw was in got wet and warped, but the
saw inside seemed dry and worked fine, but I had waited weeks to use
it. It probably did get wet because all three labels on it were sort
of messed up. Many hand tools rusted, but by using a wire wheel on a
bench grinder, and WD-40 or oil, they all looked and worked great when
I was done. They came out so nice I wire wheel many of my handtools,
and those I got second-hand usually look as good as new and better
than when I go tthem. Not sjust tools but almost anything metal
comes out looking great, except not my aluminum cookie baking trays.
(Not stained from water, but I can't get them really clean.) I use a
medium wire wheel. Maybe if I used 'fine' I could do the baking tray,
but medium or coarse is probably faster for everything else.

WEAR GOGGLES. With a new wire wheel I found one of the wires
sticking out of my forehead. It was stuck there, a half hour after I
had finished using the tool. I had to pull it out! Without gogggles
it might have been stuck in my eye. And old wheels lose wires too. I
frequently feel something hit my cheek, not usually hard, but too hard
for an eye.

Oh, yeah, mold. Many people are very worried about mold, but even
though I live in Baltimore which is supposed to be very humid, at
least in the summer, and I have had floods winter and summer,
including when it is raining and the humidity isn't low during a ran
iiuc, mold has not been a problem. Even though I'm using a humidifier
now, I didn't adjust it high enough I guess and the carpeting dried
from the last flood in three or four days without any effort on my
part. I didn't even vacuum the wet carpet, only the vinyl tiles in
the basement (because getting wet has made a few of them come up and
have to be reaffixed .

Oh, yeah, 2 at the bottom of the stairs and 2 in the doorway came
loose and broke at the same time. I guess they were almost broken to
begin with and when they were not attached to the floor anymore, there
was nothing to hold them in one piece. I screwed up and lost a few
parts, so I'm going to get replacment matching tiles from under some
furniture where its absence won't be noticed.

For a little while on day two, I thought I smelled something, but it
wwent away by daay 3 or 4. I know from other floods that the only
thing I have to do is remove rustable things from the carpeting, or
there will be rust marks.

I am not at all saying that all houses will be like this. But I
wouldn't assume that mold will be a problem until it is.

Of my 12 or more floods*** I have had, mold was somewhat of a problem
once. I think it was maybe because of the smallest of all water
entries, the one with the downspout that didnt' drain away from the
house, and the sheet rock at that corner of the basement was
continuously wet for months. When I solved the waterproblem, I kept
using bleach to kill the mold, and I probably kiilled it the first
time, but since the wall didn't become white again, I kept at it. Or
come to think of it, it had probably died before I used the bleach the
first time, but because the wall had black spots, I thought it was
still growing. Finally I realized I have to repaint. Now when I
paint in the basement, I use mold resistant paint or add a little
bottle of additive to the paint im using. When there was mold in that
corner, 10 or 15 years ago, mold also started to grow in the laundry
room behyind the workbench. That was too hard to reach, but when I
solved the little corner in the other room, that mold stopped growing,
and it's not a problem. If I ever have the dresser out that holds up
the workbench, I'll repaint.

And even when there was a little mold, it never bothered me, even when
I was in the basement. Not everyone is allergic to mold. There are
molds lots of places besides wet basements and most people are exposed
to it once in awhile with no bad reaction. And if you're not
allergic, it's not a problem.

***Backed up sewer 3 times, overflowing bath tub 2 times, burst hose
in kitchen one time, burst hose to washing machine once, burst tube to
humidifier once, end of life leak in water heater once, overflowing
condensate from central AC several times or days on end while I tried
to solve the problem, loads of rain so that the sump pump couldn't
keep up even though it was running full blast, once in 28 years, small
amounts of water coming in when the cement block at the bottom of the
downspout sank backwards, and I always forget one or two.

ONe more thing, I'm sure my carpeting and the basement "persian rug"
is synthetic. If you had wool or any animal or plant based sutff, I
think that is what they are talking about when they say that things
will never dry out.

I had a neighbor two doors away who whined after the flood that her
wool carpet in the bawsement was ruined. I wanted to say, Why did you
put wool carpeting in a basement?

Also the pad. I don't if anyone uses non-synthetic pads anymore, but
as long as I'm going to get the carpeting wet once in a while, I don't
think it's a good idea for me.

So you see I have few of the problems that some others do, but maybe
God makes up for that by giving me more floods.

Too late to do a check now, but for example if I spill a half cup of
water on the cement floor in the basement, it's all evaportated and
there is no trace of it 24 hours later. Maybe less, since I don't go
in the laundry room so often that I would know. Except where water
has gotten in between things, like a box sitting on the floor, where
the water seeps in but wont' come out for weeks, even a bad flood with
an eitght of an inch of water water on ten or 20 square feet on the
floor, the part of the floor that doesn't have things on it is dry
within 48 hours .
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Shop Vac makes a wet/dry Vac that has a built in pump. It works
great--sucks up at about a 10 GPM and pumps out at about 5 GPM. Obviously
it will eventually fill up (after approx 2 min)--but will empty itself if
you stop taking water in.
MLD
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

After you dry as much as you can get a mister and apply a light
coat of 50% bleach to water on everything that will not be ruined by
bleach. Most importantly ventilate the area as much as possible to
keep mold from forming.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

After you dry as much as you can get a mister and apply a light
coat of 50% bleach to water on everything that will not be ruined by
bleach. Most importantly ventilate the area as much as possible to
keep mold from forming.

I noticed the very bottom of the couch got wet. At first we thought
that the legs saved it but when I reached under to move it it was
sopping wet. I'm going to stand it on its end and spray the bottom
with some bleach and hope it dries out. What is everyone's
recommendation about leaving the basement hatch open tonight? There
are no more big wet patches on the floor but most of the floor is
still wet. It's supposed to go down to 36 degrees tonight, not sure
how much it will dry. I feel pretty good though (thanks Sam Adams!),
good to get through my first real home crisis - hope I can help
someone else on this excellent newsgroup one day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

On Mar 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:

[...]

The couch should have a light fabric dust cover across the bottom. Rip
it off and sponge off as much water as you can. The set it on something
so you can run a fan to dry it quickly. I wouldn't spray it with
bleach, but you could - carefully - wipe off the exposed frame with a
cleaner with a little bleach in it.

While you are down there making a mess, take a scrub brush and scrub the
floor with a little bleach in the water. Mop up as much as you can, run
fans, and open up when the temp is warmer. If you have the heat on, it
should dry more quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
[...]

On the bottom of some couches, there's a thin fabric that serves no purpose
other than cosmetic. If yours has that, cut it off completely. Cut some 2x4
blocks to put under the legs, raising the couch up a foot or so for better
air circulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

'till the water's gone.

--
Steve Barker

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 16:59:57 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
[...]

I had one of those (that last thing). A new receptacle in the bathroom
(where someone could plug in a hair dryer) had hot connected to one
circuit and neutral to another. That other circuit (on the same leg)
had a refrigerator and microwave on it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

After you dry as much as you can get a mister and apply a light
coat of 50% bleach to water on everything that will not be ruined by
bleach. Most importantly ventilate the area as much as possible to
keep mold from forming.

I noticed the very bottom of the couch got wet. At first we thought
that the legs saved it but when I reached under to move it it was
sopping wet. I'm going to stand it on its end and spray the bottom
with some bleach and hope it dries out.

Don't down play the sun's influence/ability. If you have a good sunny day
drag it outside and let the sun hit it for a day on the wet material. It
will help dry it and the UV and frsh air is great for odor elimination,
YMMV.

What is everyone's
recommendation about leaving the basement hatch open tonight?

Not sure of your local, but I'd be concerened about criters visting, both
two and four legged variety!

There
are no more big wet patches on the floor but most of the floor is
still wet. It's supposed to go down to 36 degrees tonight, not sure
how much it will dry. I feel pretty good though (thanks Sam Adams!),
good to get through my first real home crisis - hope I can help
someone else on this excellent newsgroup one day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jackson" wrote in message
. ..

What is everyone's
recommendation about leaving the basement hatch open tonight?

Not sure of your local, but I'd be concerened about criters visting, both
two and four legged variety!

There are these newfangled things called window screens. He may have to
import them from Europe, though. Very expensive. Made from some sort of
metal, most of the time. And, they require professional installation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What is everyone's
recommendation about leaving the basement hatch open tonight?

Not sure of your local, but I'd be concerened about criters visting, both
two and four legged variety!

There are these newfangled things called window screens. He may have to
import them from Europe, though. Very expensive. Made from some sort of
metal, most of the time. And, they require professional installation.

OK, now that was uncalled for - I just spit/spilled and choked on my
beer..... Geeezzzz.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the idea of a GOOD shop vac. What typically happens in
cellar floods, there is a lot of water and wet stuff that is
distant from the sump pump. So, he will be able to pour the water
into the sump easily enough.

My shop vac is one of the old 6 gal metal ones. I'd love a 16
gal plastic one, but havn't needed it, yet. I've learned that
after any wet pickup, I have to leave the top off the vac, so it
is allowed to completely dry.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:

downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 01:04 PM
Basement flooding C & E Home Repair 12 June 29th 06 07:51 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 17th 06 05:34 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 17th 06 06:09 AM
Just bought house and now basement is flooding JustMe Home Repair 3 September 12th 05 01:09 AM