Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Default flooding in basement - need help fast!

Shop Vac makes a wet/dry Vac that has a built in pump. It works
great--sucks up at about a 10 GPM and pumps out at about 5 GPM. Obviously
it will eventually fill up (after approx 2 min)--but will empty itself if
you stop taking water in.
MLD
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 2, 10:30 am, "gpsman" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:02 am, "Joe" wrote:

the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

Just run it until it breaks, or until the smoke starts leaking out,
whichever comes first.

Pumping water without much pressure isn't much work and what these
pumps are designed to do. Repeatedly starting and stopping is harder
on a motor.
-----

- gpsman

thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

- Do NOT buy a cheap wet-dry vac! Just don't. And DO get a big one, no
matter how much you think otherwise. Trust me.

- DO read the instructions before using the vac to pick up water.

- After the vac tank fills with water, you have to drain it somewhere. If
the sump pump's hole is full of water, where ya gonna go with the shop

vac?
Probably upstairs & outside, which means you and a helper will be lifting

lot of sloshy weight, with your fingers under an edge that the Chinese
manufacturer didn't smooth out very well. Pick up some cheap garden

gloves.