Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default flooding in basement - need help fast!

On Mar 2, 5:13 pm, wrote:
thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

After you dry as much as you can get a mister and apply a light
coat of 50% bleach to water on everything that will not be ruined by
bleach. Most importantly ventilate the area as much as possible to
keep mold from forming.

I noticed the very bottom of the couch got wet. At first we thought
that the legs saved it but when I reached under to move it it was
sopping wet. I'm going to stand it on its end and spray the bottom
with some bleach and hope it dries out. What is everyone's
recommendation about leaving the basement hatch open tonight? There
are no more big wet patches on the floor but most of the floor is
still wet. It's supposed to go down to 36 degrees tonight, not sure
how much it will dry. I feel pretty good though (thanks Sam Adams!),
good to get through my first real home crisis - hope I can help
someone else on this excellent newsgroup one day.