Posted to alt.home.repair

Default flooding in basement - need help fast!

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Toller wrote:
thanks, this is my first flood. Any tips on what I need to do? The
water is down to about 1" now, provided the pump keeps working what
other tools will I need to get my basement back to normal? I guess I
should get a wet dry vac for the water that doesn't make it to the
pump, anything else before I go?

Did it bring dirt in? When I had 5' of water everything was covered with
mud. I found the only thing that removed it was waiting until the water
level receded, and then hosing it all down and squeeging it into the
sump..

Obviously you will want a dehumidifier.

no dirt except what was on the basement floor. The water that leaks
into my house is ground water so it's extremely clear. I don't think
there would have been any problem if it wasn't for the fact that the
previous owner joined two pieces of pvc with a rubber connector and
metal clamps then drywalled over it. I wonder if I'm going to have to
take out all of the drywall along the pipe to make sure he didn't use
any more.

There should be prisons for previous owners who do things like that. A
friend of mine just had a new furnace installed. The installer had a WTF?
moment when things weren't working right. He found that the previous owner
(or an installer) had stuffed the cold air returns with pink fiberglass
batts.

Prison for these people, I say. But first, a mild beating, a la Tony
Soprano.