Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default flooding in basement - need help fast!

On Mar 2, 11:40 am, Bennett Price wrote:
You didn't say whether the basement was finished or not. Is floor
surface concrete, tile, carpet?. Do wall coverings (if any) extend down
into the standing water? If it's just an unfinished basement, a wet-vac
will do fine. A large fan will help a lot. What's the weather like
outside? Consider opening the basement windows if the air outside is
dry, (low humidity) even if it is cold.

Joe wrote:
the waste pipe for my sump pump disconnected last night and I have 3
inches of water in my basement. I managed to reconnect the pipe, my
question is how long can I have my pump run continuously before it
needs a break. It's a small pump.

It's finished. No carpeting. I just recently bought the house and
figured I'd see how it functioned in all four seasons before I bought
a carpet. It was my one note of solace going through my mind this
morning. It's drywalled but there is about5 inches of molding all
around the walls so the water never made it above it. I assume the
drywall behind it is damaged but it doesn't show yet. Most of the
standing water is gone now there are just pockets left that I'm
sweeping toward the pump. It's about 43 degrees outside today and the
rain finally stopped. I'll keep the cellar door open and get some fans
going. Thanks to all for the help and moral support - my first stop
will be Home Depot - second will be the liquor store! Happy hour
starts at noon today!