Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to hang pictures on brick walls?

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

It may sound a bit radical, but it's really not. When I moved into
similar construction I was sure concrete nails would work; what a
mess. The drill-and-screw method is actually the most efficient, does
the least amount of damage, and holds the best. It's way easier than
trying to pound into that stuff.

Or else you could paint murals directly on the walls. :-)

--svs

Posted to alt.home.repair
pj pj is offline

Brick-clips! These hold a lot of weight, and they are moveable ... you can
take them off, and re-position them. They're sold at most home improvement
stores and in catalogs.
-- pj

In article .com,
" wrote:
At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

It may sound a bit radical, but it's really not. When I moved into
similar construction I was sure concrete nails would work; what a
mess. The drill-and-screw method is actually the most efficient, does
the least amount of damage, and holds the best. It's way easier than
trying to pound into that stuff.

Or else you could paint murals directly on the walls. :-)

--svs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:22:09 GMT, pj wrote:

Brick-clips! These hold a lot of weight, and they are moveable ... you can
take them off, and re-position them. They're sold at most home improvement
stores and in catalogs.

They don't work on plaster over brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 23, 9:06 am, Northe wrote:
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)

I am not familiar with any other method.....other than possibly
putting up some wood or something similiar outside the plaster and
hanging anything to it rather than the brick.....but if you do end up
using the screws and the wall is an exterior wall.......remember to
use a sealant over the screw thread to properly seal it from any
moisture , etc that might work its way in.
Cheers,

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the
local hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry
drill and masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a
bit radical.
Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the
norm)

Another alternative is it hang them for a wire attached at the ceiling
so they are suspend.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:06:10 -0700, Northe wrote:

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)

I've used something like this: http://urlbee.com?11363 to hang
christmas wreathes outside.

It fits inbetween the bricks, on the mortor joint. there is a toothed
edge to hold onto the brick, and a spring that keeps it in place when
you remove the weighted object.

Just works for me, so no clue if it will work for you. I think I got
mine at Home Depot, or Lowes.

Good luck,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
Any alternate suggestions?

Liquid Nails. But be sure you really, really like the pictures.

Four strips of duct tape. You can paint it to be the frame.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:06:10 -0700, Northe wrote:

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Glue on picture molding, and hang the frames with wire and hooks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Northe" wrote in message
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can anyone
suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local hardware
store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and masonry
screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

The hardware guy's recommendation is the best idea you'll find. If it's a
pretty hefty picture, you should use more than one screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had great luck with the masonry screws. I forget the brand, but
the screws are blue and the package includes the correct size masonry
drill bit.
I've put up some large, heavy framed old maps (the largest is 5' x 4'
with heavy glass and frame) and they are solid and safe.

Vin - http://MenotomyMaps.com

On Feb 23, 1:33 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Northe" wrote in message

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can anyone
suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local hardware
store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and masonry
screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

The hardware guy's recommendation is the best idea you'll find. If it's a
pretty hefty picture, you should use more than one screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

avid_hiker wrote:
On Feb 23, 9:06 am, Northe wrote:
[...]

Check! Good suggestion!

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:06:10 -0700, Northe wrote:

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Liquid Nails. But be sure you really, really like the pictures.

G Actually, there are those 3M hangers with the Command adhesive tabs
-- although the ones I've seen are more like coat hooks than picture
hangers. I've used them from time to time.

Northe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just Joshin wrote:
[...]

As someone else noted, I've got plaster over the bricks, so I'm not sure
how I'd find the right places for them. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:06:10 -0700, Northe wrote:

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Glue on picture molding, and hang the frames with wire and hooks.

nodding That's certainly a reasonable approach. When my wife looked at
this house before we bought it, there were _lots_ of pictures on the
walls, and they seemed to be on hooks/screws of some kind -- no picture
molding. The sellers took their pictures, and agreed to take care of
patching and repainting -- I can see some spots on the walls, but have
no idea of what they used.

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Northe" wrote in message

Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can anyone
suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local hardware
store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and masonry
screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.
Any alternate suggestions?

The hardware guy's recommendation is the best idea you'll find. If it's a
pretty hefty picture, you should use more than one screw.

Thanks! That is probably the simplest and tidyist method. As I noted
elsewhere, I'll see what are the smallest diameter screws that I can find.

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Northe wrote:
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)

An easy way would be to drill a hole at about a 15-degree angle downward
into the wall where you want to hang the object going about 1-1/2 to 2
inches deep. Typically one can find carbide-tipped masonry bits that are
as small as 1/8" since this is a popular size for attaching tackless
carpet strips to concrete floors. Then insert a piece of piano wire or
steel rod of the appropriate diameter (available at any hobby shop - it
is used to form landing gear for RC planes)into the hole leaving enough
protruding to hang the object. Later, when you change your mind, the
remaining hole will be small enough (assuming you did a good job with
the drilling) to easily patch with a bit of plaster and paint.

Of course when drilling into any wall one must first determine that
there are no hidden problems at the drilling site -- wiring and pipes
being the most common. Believe me, you really don't want to try
repairing a puncture of either inside a solid wall.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a very small diameter nail used by drop ceiling
installers called a hard pin. They are made for nailing wall
angle to plaster, brick, block, etc. These are not "masonry
nails" as such. They are unique to the ceiling trade. I don't
expect you would find them at the Borgs. Stop at any commercial
ceiling/drywall supply house.

I looked, but could not find an example to show. These nails are
about an inch long and smaller in diameter than a number 4 finish
nail with a small head. They are plenty hard enough to drive in
block and mortar..

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Northe" wrote in message
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick.
Can anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures?
At the local hardware store, the clerk recommended a small
diameter masonry drill and masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm
sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are
the norm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

John McGaw wrote:
Northe wrote:
[...]

A great suggestion. I'll look into a 1/8" masonry drill. If the hole is
small enough, and I'm relatively accurate with the angle, I just might
be able to use a conventional brad and hanger -- perhaps with a
matchstick to make sure the brad doesn't move. Regarding wiring/pipes in
the wall, check and double check! I've got a multi-function
stud/metal/electrical finder, and always use it when I'm going to do
anything on any wall! It's very sensitive to electric fields from
non-metallic cables -- but doesn't detect through metal conduit.
However, I can detect the conduit or water pipe in most cases.

Northe
Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
There is a very small diameter nail used by drop ceiling
installers called a hard pin. They are made for nailing wall
angle to plaster, brick, block, etc. These are not "masonry
nails" as such. They are unique to the ceiling trade. I don't
expect you would find them at the Borgs. Stop at any commercial
ceiling/drywall supply house.

I looked, but could not find an example to show. These nails are
about an inch long and smaller in diameter than a number 4 finish
nail with a small head. They are plenty hard enough to drive in
block and mortar..

Thanks -- I'll look into them. And, if found, I'll practice on the brick
fence, rather than on the wall of the house g.

Northe