Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default How to hang pictures on brick walls?

Northe wrote:
Our outer walls are essentially plaster over slump block/brick. Can
anyone suggest a simple and reliable way to hang pictures? At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.

Any alternate suggestions?

Northe
(In southern Arizona where slump block and baked adobe walls are the norm)

An easy way would be to drill a hole at about a 15-degree angle downward
into the wall where you want to hang the object going about 1-1/2 to 2
inches deep. Typically one can find carbide-tipped masonry bits that are
as small as 1/8" since this is a popular size for attaching tackless
carpet strips to concrete floors. Then insert a piece of piano wire or
steel rod of the appropriate diameter (available at any hobby shop - it
is used to form landing gear for RC planes)into the hole leaving enough
protruding to hang the object. Later, when you change your mind, the
remaining hole will be small enough (assuming you did a good job with
the drilling) to easily patch with a bit of plaster and paint.

Of course when drilling into any wall one must first determine that
there are no hidden problems at the drilling site -- wiring and pipes
being the most common. Believe me, you really don't want to try
repairing a puncture of either inside a solid wall.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]