Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to hang pictures on brick walls?

"Northe" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Northe" wrote in message
news
wrote:
At the local
hardware store, the clerk recommended a small diameter masonry drill
and
masonry screws -- they'll work, I'm sure, but it seems a bit radical.
It may sound a bit radical, but it's really not. When I moved into
similar construction I was sure concrete nails would work; what a
mess. The drill-and-screw method is actually the most efficient, does
the least amount of damage, and holds the best. It's way easier than
trying to pound into that stuff.

Or else you could paint murals directly on the walls. :-)

--svs

I appreciate your advice. Since there's no molding from which to hang
wires, I'll try the screws. What I do want to investigate is whether
there are some that are smaller in diameter than the ones I got at the
hardware store.

Northe

Smaller in diameter? Why? How thick are the ones you initially saw or
bought? Close to what screw size? #8? #10?

3/16" -- after a quick look, they may be the smallest diameter available.

Northe

There's really no benefit in going smaller, if you think about it. If you're
concerned about patching the hole in the future, what's the diff? 1/4
teaspoon of putty or 3/16 of a teaspoon? The bigger screws will allow you to
use a little more torque during installation, which is a good thing.