Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fix bathtub seal

newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KB KB is offline

"michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

I bought a silicone bath and tub sealant. I used regular painter's tape to
tape off a small area between tub and wall (when I tried without, it got
sort of messy). Cut a small, diagonal corner off the tip of the tube of
caulk. Run it along the seam. Then use a gloved finger to smooth it out.
There's probably a better way to do this, but this worked for me.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's the tub made of?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

I did what you suggested. I bought some tub and tile sealer at Wal-
Mart ... I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the brand.
I basically did what you suggested, and it seemed to be okay, except a
week later, the new sealant is totally wrinkled and cracked and came
out of the cracks.

No idea why.

Poor quality sealant?

I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly. And I let it sit for two days
after applying it to let it dry thoroughly.

On Feb 14, 9:45 am, wrote:
On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:

newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

follow up: I removed the latex sealant which I had used, and I applied
100% silicone sealant which is definitely a lot better.

On Feb 14, 9:45 am, wrote:

On Feb 14, 10:56 am, "michael" wrote:

newbie question:

The seal between my bathtub and the tile wall is coming undone. I
don't know what type of seal it is, feels like a white "plastic"-like
material.

recommendations for procedure to repair? ... removing old caulk, type
of new caulk/tape to buy, how to apply it?

Thanks -
mike

Scrape all the old caulk out with a putty knife and/or razor. Any
home center or paint store has bath caulk in either clear or colors.
When you apply it, have the bathtub about half full of water so it has
weight, which will open the crack so it gets filled better.- Hide quoted text -

Bathtub Help MJPVEN Home Repair 3 October 21st 06 11:59 AM
bathtub spout diverter.........need a temp fix [email protected] Home Repair 8 October 17th 06 04:31 PM
To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops? blueman Home Repair 11 July 31st 06 04:44 PM
to seal or not to seal that is the question djay Home Repair 4 August 9th 05 05:38 PM
How to fix/seal plastic shower stall Actor123 Home Repair 0 February 4th 05 10:23 PM